Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Hi @RaiTurk, good to see you here.

2 Likes

:wave: Hi there Holonauts!

I was previously the VP of Community at Discourse, the forum software we’re all using here.

The prospects of p2p technology for communication platforms has grown on me. One of my projects at Discourse was to figure out how we could do free hosting without imploding. We made it work by strictly approving non-profit projects most in need of free service, e.g. the open source scene.

I always wanted to expand the reach of the program by 100x or more: think for instance of every interest based community on Facebook Groups that would be better served by a self-owned platform like Discourse. But the current state of hosting economics just doesn’t allow that for a self-sustaining company that hasn’t taken a major VC infusion to undercut competitors and swallow a market overnight.

Holochain flips the script. If I’ve got an interest that’s shared by at least one other person, then between the two of us we have all the hosting power we need. And as more and more people join in on the fun we only need the most passionate few of us to stake the necessary resources to keep us afloat. No more asking for permission to exist from 3rd party hosts; no more crisis mode when growing past the limits of benevolence. For any healthy, well managed community, growing to mass-scale might cease to be the double-edged sword that it is today. :rainbow:

p.s. I’ve also been actively involved in the Rust community due to its prospects for game development. I’m on the board of the Rust game engine Amethyst, and helped establish the Rust GameDev Working Group. As a community professional I am blown away by how progressive and people-centered the Rust community is, so whenever some tech I’m interested in also happens to be using Rust I am doubly excited!

18 Likes

Hello my name is Jason cook I’m new to holochain I purchased a holoport and I’m looking for some direction on how to set it up. any help would be appreciated. also I would like to speak to Eric Bear if I could get in contact with him. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello EveryONE, it is awesome to be here and have the opportunity to collaborate in co-creating the human-centered internet.

3 Likes

Hello! I’m Karghitect, pleased to meet everyone! The Holochain architecture is amazing!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m John from California. My team is developing an hApp that provides digital identity protection so that people can benefit from their digital identity instead of big tech.

4 Likes

Also from CA, Where are you located? I would love to participate in this venture. Sounds quite promising.

1 Like

Hey All - I’m Jeff Clearwater - here to support the community and keep tabs on early use cases - especially local mutual credit exchange systems - and supply chain/market empowerment. A member of the VillageLab team - watching the Commons Engine and HoloREA closely - not a programmer but social architect looking to play!

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Vangelis and I’m following Holochain some time before the Holo ICO. I’m actually pretty noob in programming but planning to work on it as I have some ideas which worth testing.

2 Likes

We’ll chat later. Where in California are you located. We can do most online, but face to face is important to the team as well.

1 Like

Hello fellow human beings :slight_smile: My name is Sergio and I’ve discovered Holochain on Coinbase, read a bit about it, but still the understanding of blockchain is not so easy especially when English is not the first language. Myself is passionate about nature and people, and I am a Mindset Coach passionate about business ideas to improve the quality of the planet and all beings of earth. From my experience I have realized that education is the most important path to follow therefore I have a strong passion for this and would love to build something on this. I hope that everyone is having an amazing time wherever you are and shine your beauty all the time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all!
I live in Galicia (Northwest of Spain).
As a programmer i want first to understand and second to improve the Holochain ecosystem.
let see what can we do!
:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi all, glad to be here. I’m chairman of Startup Societies Foundation and president of Openworld, nonprofit ventures that specialize in new ways to lift barriers to entrepreneurship. I have worked in 50+ countries over the past three decades on policy reforms, learning innovations, and special economic zones, including startup cities open to economic migrants. A current focus is on initiatives for neighborhood groups and communities to secure land grants, and then awaken dormant land values through new learn-by-doing and policy reform initiatives. I recently completed a book on this – https://is.gd/startupsocietiesbook. Earlier in my career, I was publisher and managing editor of Reason magazine, and cofounder of the Local Government Center, springboard for Reason Foundation’s research and consulting practice on non-governmental approaches to service delivery. I’m a graduate of Harvard University, and a former Visiting Fellow of the Lehrman Institute, where I researched ways that neighborhood associations can take on municipal service responsibilities. Personal interests include hiking, drawing/architectural design, kayaking, flying, square foot gardening, archery, and reading. I’m intrigued by Holochain’s prospects for helping virtual and actual communities thrive.

6 Likes

Hi as a quick introduction Stark Networks is working with a number of corporate clients interested in Holochain and in developing hApps for businesses in Asia, with a focus-hub being Thailand. The more we learn about Holo and Holochain, then better we can assist and serve the expansion of the Holoverse. :dizzy: :pray:

4 Likes

Hi, I am Toby.
Got in first contact with Holochain at the Lisbon Hackathon last week.
Good to see all the people involved with so much energy and enthusiasm.

10 Likes

Hi! I am Jessyca from Brazil. I just met Holochain.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone, this community at a gut level feels a place with lots of latent potential!
I was invited to join by Rob, thanks Rob!
My first suggestion was on the rather welcoming Sustainability and Happiness hApps - Holo Hosting - Holo Forum, for a hApp rating system that showed off the ecological emphasis of Holo by not only assessing each hApp’s own present running ecological footprint, on as yet to determine parameters :thinking:, as well as the focus and dynamism of the value creation field of the hApp, be it in Oxygen, Carbon, Water, Land, Energy, Communications, Tracking or Record keeping etc., for the specific purpose of sustainability.
I feel that we neglect the most obvious, the Oxygen we breathe, which we don’t pay a cent for and expect nothing to happen to by pumping our atmosphere with all manner of toxins and pollutants, burn giga tonnes of it routinely, while we systemically cut down biodiversity rich natural forests and replace then with monoculture farms or waste lands. No one values photosynthetic-biomass. :sleepy: We need to make that into the backbone of this future value system that Holochain can lead.
I have a deep interest in getting the ecological services of the planet recognized as green capital, that I feel would protect them as the invaluable assets they are, be it a sapling or an elephant. I aim to help design, build, and deploy, with the help of some of you more proficient with coding and application design, an ecosystem of hApp software that would carry humanity beyond the fossil fuel era, where the excuse to keep polluting via a Carbon offset is seen as off target.

I like to call it the Titanium age.

An age of no pollution because we all will be assessed accurately, and be held accountable to a release - capture bio currency equation :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, where biodiversity is respected :honeybee: and not only used as indicators for assessing ecosystem health, but also for the marketing of products from the land which was used for the growing/production/manufacture or the sale of any product :gift:, to build the software to a mvp we may need to specifically target, locally grown, field to mouth, zero carbon direct, organic perishable food.

An indicator species certified, GPS/processed optical data centric, low cost approach to environmental education, an eBay for fresh produce, a land certification and marketing tool, and an invaluable green capital database for all natural spaces, all rolled in to one, that is the grand architecture.

The logic goes like this;
By virtue of the specific species the land provides refuge for, and therefore, a habitat for, we can say something about the health of that block of land. This goes beyond mere organic farming to addressing biological diversity and ecological sustainability as well.

The more extensive and the closer to endemic fauna and flora species present, the higher the health of that ecosystem. So the varieties of species and the numbers counted, we can say how healthy that ecosystem is in a specific known aspect of the pollution tolerance threshold or limit of that particular species. The more data through space and time the better the accuracy of this assessment will be. To do this at a reasonable cost and especially, without corrupt data, younger school kids, namely students with a teacher, on an environment education curriculum centered field trip, will be invited to a land that’s awaiting certification. The kids will need to spot and then quietly, photo/gps tag species, bigger high school age kids will do parts per million and parts per billion (ppm and ppb) as the case may be, pollution/growth etc. counts studies on the same land at a different time, but the universities and conservation ngo’s will need to drive this research, and the data collection exercises, in order to create indices, that are to be used on the products coming from this, now certified land.
The zoning system for such an undertaking should being based on the boundaries of nature, and on sustainability; therefore, that being done on a watershed basis, seems a natural fit so we won’t be restricted by national boundaries

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Hey :wave: folks,

From Belgium here. Don’t know much about holochain, but interested about the bootcamp and seeing what I can build with holochain and its usecase.

5 Likes

Hello @all!

I am a Berlin based artist, resettled from New York City since about ten years.

My wife brought Holochain to my attention a few years ago. She’s an early supporter and we recently received our Holoport. It is happily whirring and aurora glowing away in anticipation of its future activity.

I am first and foremost a visual artist. I have been playing with computers in this respect for many years. Some of that work lead me to do some programming so I have a decent understanding of the general concepts.

I worked for seven years for a VJ software company as their communications person, managing the global community of users as well as providing email based technical support. All this while traveling, conducting workshops, doing installations and performing.

A year ago I also started tokenising artwork on the Ethereum blockchain and I am involved in the online community surrounding this ‘market’.

I have read Holoport documentation, read articles related to it. There is a lot to learn but I think I have a fair understanding of the basic principles.

Last year my wife and I attended an impromptu Holochain meet up here in Berlin where we met Arthur Brock. When I prompted him about how we can best support the project he recommended that I help foster a Berlin Holochain community.

Last night I attended the first official Holochain meet up in Berlin hosted by @bear who inquired if anyone was willing to help start a regular meet up. I raised my hand along with a small group of others who are also eager to help build some momentum here.

We are aiming for a March 4th meetup!

Eager to see where all this goes.

Cheers,
ilan

9 Likes

:wave: Phy speaking here, disguised as @Blooniverse (for reasons of clarity).

You might know me from/via Blooniverse.com/Content/Dreams/Holochain/ — what do you think, could my old Volox (a Virtualbox virtual appliance/machine from spring/summer 2019) on this old landing-page still be of use, or shall I trash it?

5 Likes