Welcome! Introduce Yourself

This is mostly for @pospi and @lynnfoster : looks like Holo-REA would do what they want, so it might be interesting for us to look at what they are doing.

But @ilmirajat Holo-REA is also probly overkill for your wood tracking needs, so I’m not saying you should use it. But probly some intersections that could be interesting to chat about some time.

@bhaugen: Indeed. This goes a bit to off-topic given the title of the thread. My last reply in this thread: I don’t think that Holo-REA is necessarily overkill and it looks a cool project. I actually considered whether I should have referred it in the the technical description as it has a lot of similarities. I decided not to for three reasons: (1) the document is already now needlessly long, (2) I didn’t have enough time to study carefully what problem Holo-REA exactly solves and how and (3) we had really limited time to implement stuff. I have tendency to think that in GoWood we managed to experiment (technically speaking) a database agonist, permissionless row-level access control mechanism. To take this project one step further the next step would probably be to implement generic database query gateway and include support to two or three different databases. I’ve understood that in Holo-REA the focus is rather in capability to query distributed graph data model than in permissionless, access control to any database with capability to delegate row level access to external resources.

1 Like

Hello, I Brian. Working with @rayzer on his Cogov project. I have plenty of full stack experience in JS, TS, Ruby. I’m new to Rust. I’m enjoying the language but am running into some issues getting everything up & running with Holochain.

I’m very grateful to be here & am looking forward to learning more & contributing whatever I can to bring success.

Thank you,
Brian

Merhaba. (Hello)

I’m RaiTurk. Maybe some of you familiar with me from Twitter (twitter.com/crypto_raiturk).

I’m one of the supporter of Holochain in Turkey. Holochain charmed me at first sight.

I share every news about Holochain and Holo with my followers. Also I translate contents to Turkish in my spare times. There is a huge supporter crowd in Turkey for Holochain. I hope this project is going to change the world.

9 Likes

Hi @RaiTurk, good to see you here.

2 Likes

:wave: Hi there Holonauts!

I was previously the VP of Community at Discourse, the forum software we’re all using here.

The prospects of p2p technology for communication platforms has grown on me. One of my projects at Discourse was to figure out how we could do free hosting without imploding. We made it work by strictly approving non-profit projects most in need of free service, e.g. the open source scene.

I always wanted to expand the reach of the program by 100x or more: think for instance of every interest based community on Facebook Groups that would be better served by a self-owned platform like Discourse. But the current state of hosting economics just doesn’t allow that for a self-sustaining company that hasn’t taken a major VC infusion to undercut competitors and swallow a market overnight.

Holochain flips the script. If I’ve got an interest that’s shared by at least one other person, then between the two of us we have all the hosting power we need. And as more and more people join in on the fun we only need the most passionate few of us to stake the necessary resources to keep us afloat. No more asking for permission to exist from 3rd party hosts; no more crisis mode when growing past the limits of benevolence. For any healthy, well managed community, growing to mass-scale might cease to be the double-edged sword that it is today. :rainbow:

p.s. I’ve also been actively involved in the Rust community due to its prospects for game development. I’m on the board of the Rust game engine Amethyst, and helped establish the Rust GameDev Working Group. As a community professional I am blown away by how progressive and people-centered the Rust community is, so whenever some tech I’m interested in also happens to be using Rust I am doubly excited!

18 Likes

Hello my name is Jason cook I’m new to holochain I purchased a holoport and I’m looking for some direction on how to set it up. any help would be appreciated. also I would like to speak to Eric Bear if I could get in contact with him. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello EveryONE, it is awesome to be here and have the opportunity to collaborate in co-creating the human-centered internet.

3 Likes

Hello! I’m Karghitect, pleased to meet everyone! The Holochain architecture is amazing!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m John from California. My team is developing an hApp that provides digital identity protection so that people can benefit from their digital identity instead of big tech.

4 Likes

Also from CA, Where are you located? I would love to participate in this venture. Sounds quite promising.

1 Like

Hey All - I’m Jeff Clearwater - here to support the community and keep tabs on early use cases - especially local mutual credit exchange systems - and supply chain/market empowerment. A member of the VillageLab team - watching the Commons Engine and HoloREA closely - not a programmer but social architect looking to play!

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Vangelis and I’m following Holochain some time before the Holo ICO. I’m actually pretty noob in programming but planning to work on it as I have some ideas which worth testing.

2 Likes

We’ll chat later. Where in California are you located. We can do most online, but face to face is important to the team as well.

1 Like

Hello fellow human beings :slight_smile: My name is Sergio and I’ve discovered Holochain on Coinbase, read a bit about it, but still the understanding of blockchain is not so easy especially when English is not the first language. Myself is passionate about nature and people, and I am a Mindset Coach passionate about business ideas to improve the quality of the planet and all beings of earth. From my experience I have realized that education is the most important path to follow therefore I have a strong passion for this and would love to build something on this. I hope that everyone is having an amazing time wherever you are and shine your beauty all the time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all!
I live in Galicia (Northwest of Spain).
As a programmer i want first to understand and second to improve the Holochain ecosystem.
let see what can we do!
:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi all, glad to be here. I’m chairman of Startup Societies Foundation and president of Openworld, nonprofit ventures that specialize in new ways to lift barriers to entrepreneurship. I have worked in 50+ countries over the past three decades on policy reforms, learning innovations, and special economic zones, including startup cities open to economic migrants. A current focus is on initiatives for neighborhood groups and communities to secure land grants, and then awaken dormant land values through new learn-by-doing and policy reform initiatives. I recently completed a book on this – https://is.gd/startupsocietiesbook. Earlier in my career, I was publisher and managing editor of Reason magazine, and cofounder of the Local Government Center, springboard for Reason Foundation’s research and consulting practice on non-governmental approaches to service delivery. I’m a graduate of Harvard University, and a former Visiting Fellow of the Lehrman Institute, where I researched ways that neighborhood associations can take on municipal service responsibilities. Personal interests include hiking, drawing/architectural design, kayaking, flying, square foot gardening, archery, and reading. I’m intrigued by Holochain’s prospects for helping virtual and actual communities thrive.

6 Likes

Hi as a quick introduction Stark Networks is working with a number of corporate clients interested in Holochain and in developing hApps for businesses in Asia, with a focus-hub being Thailand. The more we learn about Holo and Holochain, then better we can assist and serve the expansion of the Holoverse. :dizzy: :pray:

4 Likes

Hi, I am Toby.
Got in first contact with Holochain at the Lisbon Hackathon last week.
Good to see all the people involved with so much energy and enthusiasm.

10 Likes

Hi! I am Jessyca from Brazil. I just met Holochain.

6 Likes