WARNING: New Scam for HOT

There is a new phishing scam for $HOT that originated on Substack.

There is NO Holochain Smart Contract Upgrade!

If you are a HOT holder you do not need to do anything. We’re not linking to the scam to limit its proliferation.

Always triple check BEFORE sending your HOT anywhere, no matter who (appears) to be asking for it.

1 Like

Please let us know if you received emails or saw this scam appearing beyond Substack.

I received the phishing email via “holochain@substack.com”, even though I do not own any HOT. Nevertheless, it seemed plausible to me until I went to Substack and saw the warning there.

Sad. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks Scott!

@scott_pdx Would appreciate it if you could forward the phishing email please.

I’ll DM you my email address.

I have the same email i literally just joined to see if there was anything about it i could read. It looked pretty convincing. I still have it if you’d like but i think it’s the exact same email @scott_pdx mentions from the same email address

Thanks @mattsname. I’ll DM you my email.

I was taken to the woodshed by this scam. I lost a lot of HOT, and it is stinging badly, mostly because I have been in the digital asset world for years and I know better. Here are my mistakes:

1. I dumped the email into my to-do list, so I was comfortable seeing it, which let my guard down.
  2. I wasn’t paying close enough attention to what was actually going on in the community.
  3. No paranoid triple check everything, like I usually do because I was busy and in get it done mode.

The positives; this was a great learning lesson for me. It showed me I needed to slow down, understand that a few weeks of not checking in is an extremely long time in this rapidly evolving world. Stay safe, make sure you are informed and stay vigilant. H