Holochain Forum

Naming conventions & module patterns for Rust crates?

Getting closer to thinking seriously about how to package things for other developers to consume when developing Holochain apps. At a high level, what I can see is needed is a naming convention to make locating Holochain zome packages on crates.io easier. Has anyone else thought about what an appropriate prefix might be?

• holochain_zome_?
  • holo_zome_?
  • happ_?

Something else?

Beyond that, the next question is to figure out what should be exported by each crate. Just throwing some thoughts out there based on patterns I can see becoming necessary for HoloREA, but at this stage I think it makes sense for the main crate entrypoint to export the full zome definition. This makes importing an unmodified “mixin” zome into your project essentially a one-liner.

From there it is probably a case of exporting zome function handler callbacks and entry / link type definitions as individual functions in sub-modules, so that they can be selectively imported into consuming zome handlers for use-cases where domain-specific business logic wants to manage the behaviour of library zomes.

DHT datatypes and structs I am less sure about, given that in our architecture those are shared code (because they are shared between zomes in many cases). But many developers will probably want to export those from their zome crates as well, given that other zomes will need to import them in order to decode payloads requested via call between DNAs.

Any strong opinions on this @pauldaoust @thedavidmeister @wollum?

using rust crates as a native way to achieve “mixins” is totally something we wanted to achieve by adopting rust

i’m very glad we’re getting to the point that we can start realising some wins in this area :slight_smile:

i’ll mention a few things for context tho:

• crates that reference github checkouts can’t be published, so make sure to sweep your projects as the old hc scaffolding did exactly this
  • if we’re getting to this stage i’d like to chase up whether we can hit stable rust versions for zome development soonish, even if core binary builds need nightly it would be great to get HDK and downstream WASM on stable
  • yes it makes sense to split your datatypes and structs and impls into a dedicated crate, we’ve found this can be critical for interop in certain contexts due to the way that the rust compiler works
  • there’s some scripts you can use that publish things to crates.io in a release hook if you’re using holonix for releases :slight_smile:

My gut feeling is that hc_zome_ is nice and easy to type, and doesn’t seem to clash with any existing namespaces (there’s a bit of space occupied by hc, mostly by crypto libs). It (or its longer variant holochain_zome_) also feels the most accurate — holo implies Holo Hosting to me, and happ implies entire DNAs or constellations of DNAs.

As for what to export… my advice will be limited by how little I know about the Rust module system. But yeah, I like the idea of a crate’s entry point being the full zome definition, so you can drop the zome into your DNA. Are there any technical barriers to further breaking it up into submodules in the way you describe for picking and choosing of functionality, but in a crate-ish fashion?

Here are the types of not-quite-full-zome modularity I’d like to see:

• Helper libraries — modules that implement universal functionality and let you add app-specific functionality via inversion of control. Example: a lib that implements the basics of a certificate-based permissions system — authorities’ signatures, expiry time, subject’s public key, etc — but let you add your own conditions like the actual resource and the specific privileges being granted.
  • Struct definitions that allow zomes/DNAs to (de-)serialise each other’s data. (What’s the compilation and runtime cost of including them in each zome lib? I suspect that the generated serde stuff will exist in every compiled zome; is that correct?)

This touches on the bigger topic of code reuse and dependency management. What exactly is our story about zomes and what they’re for? Basic units of code reuse, or means of encapsulation and data hiding, or both? And DNAs — they’re for core vs accessory functionality, but also for partitioning privileged groups from each other. I’ve got more thoughts, but I don’t wanna hijack this thread. Just bringing it up in order to say that the intended use cases for the constructs known as zomes and DNAs will inform our patterns for crates.

I’ve logged an issue for this in HoloREA, if anyone wants to help out by being our first implementor and assisting with defining the interface contracts or writing developer documentation :smiley:

I just wanted to flag the above with @pauldaoust as there is a conversation in another thread that has me concerned about the feasibility of mixin zomes - see How to bidirectionally replicate data between DNAs?

Might be best to continue any conversations about “driving one zome’s entries from within another zome” here, as I think it’s more related to this than it is to bidirectional data replication :wink: