Lbry (youtube replacements?)

lbry touts itself as a youtube/amazon replacement which uses blockchain technology

has anyone looked into it? and are there any holochain currently in the works for a youtube replacement?

2 Likes

I think it’s a fantastic platform. I met with one of the creators of it two years ago and told him about Holochain, but back then it didn’t fully click for him.

CrossPollinating another similar thread

• What is the value in having redundant VideoDataStorage?
  • What is their business model, if storing videos on DHTs start becoming expensive over time?
2 Likes

If you’re interested in distributed video platforms, there is also PeerTube, which is built with ActivityPub and WebTorrent, without any blockchain.

3 Likes

Reply from: Tom hello@lbry.com

• What is the value in having redundant VideoDataStorage?

Right now LBRY re-hosts all content, but we can’t do this long term. In the future, we hope to have a data market where seeders are paid to host content and downloads will have to purchase bandwidth or watch ads.

• What is their business model, if storing videos on DHTs start becoming expensive over time?

The 2nd question also falls in line here. LBRY will still act as a host for popular content, and can choose to charge for it also.

LBRY team member has offered 30 mins of their to discuss backend challenges, business model challenges especially from an agent centric world perspective!

@spirit @bierlingm @WorldOfHolochain @Glunk would you be game, if we bring people from PeerTube and LBRY for a group discussion to understand technology stack and business model? This could be a recorded session, kind of contribution to our communities growth as well as an opportunity to connect outsider to our ecosystem!

@Glunk thank you for sharing this. I am assuming you understand how the stack works and have an understanding on User Experience?

Yes, I have been using LBRY for quite a while now. LBRY has a great community of people around it. One thing that LBRY has, that I’m surprised Holo doesn’t, is a Discord server. There is a lot really good communication going on with LBRY/Odysee.

1 Like