Holochain turnkey for Windows 10 (Add Computing Horsepower without technical knowledge)

Hi folks,
I am an old decrepit Windows Sys Admin with lots of functional systems I would like to put to use to grow the HOT ecosystem. I have looked around but have not found anything I could install on windows systems to add value. I can’t Linux or Mac attack… so I want you to point me to an app that I can install on a windows system to help out. I have alot of older Win Sys Admin friends that would be happy to help if we could make it easy for them too.

Thanks, everyone in advance for your help!!

Hi @tnaa97, so I don’t have windows installed and right now holochain RSM is only officially supported on Linux, although I know a few people have made it work with WSL (@ddd-mtl).

If you are looking for something to play with, you could try out the compository which works out of the box if you have docker installed.

1 Like

Hi,
Could you please point me to the download for the HoloPort Operating System?
I see I could buy a HoloPort but did not find the OS download.
Thanks in advance!

Well, the best I could do is find the legacy repository pre rsm: https://github.com/Holo-Host/holoportos. I don’t know where the current efforts are being developed, maybe @pauldaoust knows?

Keep in mind that diy holoports is still not supported, the focus is on getting the os running well on focus now.

you can find it at GitHub - Holo-Host/holo-nixpkgs: Modules, packages and profiles that drive Holo, Holochain, and HoloPortOS, and I honestly don’t know how to set it up :sweat_smile: Not sure how much of it is customised to the hardware we’re using (e.g., does it only include the specific drivers we need? don’t know :man_shrugging: )

and yes, what Guillem said – not supported. Here be dragons :dragon:

oh hey, look at this! https://github.com/Holo-Host/holo-nixpkgs#virtualbox An HPOS virtual machine image! I guess we’re building these for development and testing.

I am a Linux noob and am fumbling my way around GitHub, Virtualbox - Linux and think I have NixOS installed but don’t know how to run it.
GItHub is obviously for advanced users and have released I must be a medium level user at best, but I can’t find any guides to learn that are not heavily filled with abbreviations & acronyms to learn from.
I understand that maybe at this early stage that it’s probably best not to have amateurs fumbling around, but also would it not help drive adoption & get more people interested by having a more user-friendly step by step install and set up guide, whether it be windows or a Linux virtual box guide?

Please help, very interested to learn, just need a dumbed down version to learn my basics from.