I have spent an hour searching github and this forum for instructions / guidelines on how to develop and test holochain apps OFFLINE. Imagine you are in a park or on the beach hotspotting to your mobile with a shitty data plan… and you type nix-shell … upgrade kicks in and you might as well give up then.
so with some credit to @raphisee for posting vital info on this here:
here are some more detailed instructions to save you time and a high blood pressure (assuming you have done the nix install etc):
- download the latest holonix from https://github.com/holochain/holonix
- go to the directory where you want to develop you holochain app unzip the directory and rename to something like holonix0038.
- move out the example.config.nix and example.default.nix to the root of development directory and rename example.default.nix to default.nix
- edit the example.config.nix file:
- set use-github to false
- change the local.path to the name you set for the holonix dir eg ./holonix0038
- save changes and then run nix-shell from the development directory…
The first time it might download the corresponding holochain-conductor to your machine… after that everytime you do nix-shell … you will not need to be online. You can then go ahead and create your holochain app in that directory.