Coding together online on October 9th!

Hey! Yeah, I get that, EU and Australia sure is a pain to coordinate :slight_smile:

I’ll try to document this so maybe next time you or one of the other people down there can hold the space! If I host another one later, maybe we can shift times for that too.

1 Like

Hey again,

Looking forward to experimenting with those of you who make it to tomorrows session. :microscope:

Here is a link to the zoom room where we meet at 2pm Central European Time (I’ve also updated to post above to include the link). ping @hedayat, @guillemcordoba, @raphisee

2 Likes

Hi @ViktorZaunders, when is the next session?
I would love to join you .

1 Like

hey @lylycarrillo, nice to see you here :slight_smile:

We actually were planning to have a follow up session on saturday but I need to reschedule that (did y’all see my mattermost message @hedayat, @guillemcordoba, @raphisee?)

I am still processing some video here too but will post some harvest from the last session with reflections on that when I am ready!

Will keep you posted for what happens next @lylycarrillo :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ViktorZaunders I can attend our codding session during the week days after 4:00 pm CET time. I can not leave my company sooner because of our working hours rule.

Reflections and learnings from the first SymCode session

There were four of us that showed up for the first symcode session that was planned for October 9th 2019. @guillemcordoba, @hedayat , @raphisee and myself. Thanks to all of you for doing that, It was fun! :smile:

And I got to learn a bunch of stuff.

Learning about the process

Even though this was the third time this app would be implemented, it was still pretty har do to scoping for what could be done in the timewindow that we had set up (4h).

It took us about an hour and a half before we split into seperate tracks. We ended up scaffolding (defining structures of entries and functions) and re-writing the application from scratch again.

Having people broadcast their coding (and recording at the same time) is really interesting. It was great to be able to drop in on another person coding once I got stuck in what I had set out to do.

Also, the ability to just start speaking in the zoom chat and pull the others in to resolve some question was also really satisfying.

Some of the materials harvested

There was a bunch of materials recorded, which has been cut and uploaded to youtube. Following I will embed the videos with descriptions of what you can find in them and when. (all videos are also in this playlist)

If you want to look at the HackMD document we used for scaffoling it is here:

A short background on the application can be found in the Readme on the repo here:

part 1 - the setup video

The video is footage of us going through structuring the rebuilding of the application from scratch.

Guillem is walking us through the structs for the entries, considerations on choosing multiple or single zomes as well as what functions will be needed for a minimal “functional” application.

Towards the end of the video Guillem also intializes the repo using command line interface tools.

Time:
2:45 What structs do we need for the entries?
8:30 Do we make one or two zomes?
15:00 What functions do we need?
19:00 Updating the structs, do we need another type of entry?
26:43 Iniation of the Holochain Project (HC Init)
31:50 Generating zomes using the rust-prog macros (HC Generate … rust-proc)

part 2 - regrouping for questions

In this part we regroup to go through some questions and clarifications.

(applologies for the DC power noise from time to time I think it is my laptop that is conducting)

Contents:
Q: How do I retreive all the books to find which ones are mine?

Q: Should there be links from requests_to_borrow to the owner of the item? How does that work since they are two different zomes?

8:00 Creating the get_owner function in the books zome

13:00 Q: How can we use the AGENT_ADRESS when linking in the functions?

15:00 Linking from AGENT_ADRESS to an entry

17:00 Q: Why do we need links when the books have their owner in the entry?

20:00 Q: What is the difference between link-entries and normal entries around how they are stored on the DHT? How does that help us with speeding up querying?

part 3 - Connecting a UI

A short walkthrough of the UI that guillem started to create, how it talks to the backend and how to connect it to the conductor. The UI is built with: https://lit-element.polymer-project.org/

part 4 - Code walkthrough and review

At this point we started going through the code that was produced to fix errors and

0:30 - Going through imports in the HC books/lib.rs

1:40 - Start cleaning up the HC functions from errors

6:17 - Making variables in the zome public

6:50 - Fixing the validation error parsing problems.

7:50 starting to compile code with HC package

8:20 - removing the .cargo from GIT with .gitignore

10:00 - walking through the work on tests and creating more proper syntax

11:00 - Understanding that we should not be passing the owner adress in the create_book function, by switching from the book struct to parameters

12:20 - parse the result from the functions before checking the equals to make it more reliable

Viktor attempting to write tests

(Warning: I am an inexperienced coder, this is a very slowly progressing video :smile:)

My first published livestream of writing tests:

coding happens between around 2.40 to 30:00 marks.

Guillem coding the front end

Viktor and Guillem - updating testing

6 Likes

We’re moving towards morphing this into the Open Learning Community:

guessing this might be interesting to some more folks @carolyn, @bear, @dhtnetwork

5 Likes

Excited to hear about the direction. Thank you for the detailed reflections write-up!

Great! Victor, thank you for summing up this information, valuable!
:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe holopass could be another learning project if we get this thing flowing!

3 Likes

We should introduce the online coding group at the Happathon in Barcelona… might be a great group to continue on the momentum of the Happathon. Also to have a fixed date maybe in the week following the happathon.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

I think it is an excellent idea :slight_smile:

Would be happy to have a chat about it (maybe in conjunction with a little more coding if people are up for that)

1 Like

sounds great! I’m always up for a chat :slight_smile:

Are you coming to Barcelona as well? would be wonderful to see you again!

1 Like

Unfortunately not :frowning: would love to see you all again, but can’t make it this time.

I’m a little pressed for time in the coming two weeks. Would folks be available for conversation and coding on Wednesday the 6th of November, afternoon?

@hedayat @guillemcordoba @lylycarrillo @raphisee?

2 Likes

Yes. I’m available

if it is after 4:00 PM CET, I am also in.

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay here, I’ve been a little swamped with things and have some trouble making it myself now for the 6th. But I would love to have a conversation around this whole concept of an Online Learning Community. Who would like to be involved in stewarding this thing?

Some of my thinking around how the Open Collective can eventually support the efforts:

• funding to eventually pay for hosts that organize online events as well as helping make the generated learning materials available
  • funding to also support experienced coders who act like instructors/leads
  • funding for people to engage in learning (everyone that participates)

What I thought might be a beautiful thing here is if we can get funding to create open source applications (like Mailboox which we have already started) while keeping the emphesis on learning together. I’d love to support people in joining these sessions and creating value for the commons while up-skilling themselves.

Would you guys that have shown interest in this so far be willing to help guide where potential funds go in the open collective, if so let me know so we can set this thing up together! @raphisee @guillemcordoba @hedayat @lylycarrillo @pablo

5 Likes

Hi Viktor! I am also very happy to see you here. Nice! :slight_smile:
Is there a calendar to add so I can keep up with the coding gathering without needing to some to the forum? I missed it last week because I was travelling.

Warm regards,
Liliana.

Viktor! Thank you for this message. This sounds very good. I would be up to do some organizational work in order to make this happen and, of course, when the time comes share some knowledge. Let us know how to proceed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great @pablo :slight_smile:

I would love to host another session soon. What do you think @guillemcordoba, can we get past the tests working before we start another session? Did you get try-o-rama going for your project and would you be able to assess work needed to get Mailboox tests going and published?

1 Like