Are you a chess grandmaster?

Anybody know any chess grandmasters who might want to give the next hosted happ a try? …

1 Like

Bobby Fischer; though you wouldn’t want ghosts to join, now would you? Lol!

Ghosts are fine

Chess1

1 Like

Reach out to GMHikaru to play it. He will certainly gain you a lot of publicity.

3 Likes

I’m not, but I am a senior developer at chess.com, so I could try to get your message in front of the right eyes.

5 Likes

Awesome!

Have you engaged with the distributed web space before?

1 Like

I haven’t. Been reading and researching a lot over the last few months and then came across Holochain. Now I’m learning Rust and looking to build my first happ to see how it all works. Very exciting.

2 Likes

So cool, glad to have you here!

Have you heard of the community organized Rust bootcamp @dcts is organizing? You’re welcome to join us for the next session. :smiley:

https://forum.holochain.org/t/rust-coding-bootcamp-for-future-holochain-developers/6628/2

Awesome @AndyJessop

What benefits do you see to running chess on Holochain & Holo? Anything you would love to see that would excite you or the team?

There are two reasons I’m interested in Holochain. First is that it’s awesome and I love technology and it’s frankly just exciting for future personal projects. But also it would be remiss of me if I didn’t consider how it might benefit chess.com too. The main thing I’m thinking at the moment is can we off-load work from our servers during crunch moments when we’re bursting at the seams. We often get tremendous spikes that are very hard to plan for. Maybe we can re-route traffic to a distributed system to maintain our uptime and the hairlines of our devops team. And maybe in the future we might choose to go further down the distributed route if we’re measuring benefits.

4 Likes

Thanks! Looking into it now!

1 Like

Andy, could you realistically see a possibility for doing a kind of test project for chess.com where you use Holochain for a very small piece of non-critical functionality?

I think that’s the most likely start to build some internal dev capacity in your organization and to get closer to benefiting from Holochain’s distributed nature in your operations.

Yeah excellent

Can you see benefits in the community / players providing hosting for either the dynamics of the game or community?

And can you see the benefit of a different business model if you moved away from centralised servers? Or is the economics of that not a factor?

2 Likes

I would love to host a Holochain-based chess.com prototype for free on my HoloPort, actually…

2 Likes

That is a possibility, yes. We have large numbers of small projects and micro-services, so I’d have to think of where I could do a little prototype to introduce the concept.

3 Likes

Sweet, I also added you on LinkedIn – love where this is going!

1 Like

Woah, I’m on LinkedIn…? :wink:

1 Like

Oh, wait, that’s not you? :sweat_smile:

It’s kind of sad actually, because LinkedIn is one of two remaining social networks I have access to after having my Facebook and Instagram accounts deleted last October… :pensive:

Can you see benefits in the community / players providing hosting for either the dynamics of the game or community?

I definitely can. We have a large and active communities and I’m sure they would jump at the chance to become a “part” of it. Our CEO always stresses that chess is as old as the hills and we’re just its temporary custodians. Holochain makes that real in to a very literal sense.

And can you see the benefit of a different business model if you moved away from centralised servers? Or is the economics of that not a factor?

I have to say I’m not the expert on the company’s economics, but it does make sense that maintaining our number of games played whilst reducing the amount of requests to our servers and databases would be a good thing.

1 Like