Are you a chess grandmaster?

Haha, it probably is me, I just haven’t been on LinkedIn for a while, I think. I don’t do social networks any more. Just focussed on privacy really.

1 Like

Love it. I see my being booted from Facebook as a good reminder to transition to the crypto-based networks and support their coming into existence, as well as staying focused on more direct and private communications.

Makes sense

Do you know or could you ask anybody within the chess.com world (organisation or players) if they would be keen to experiment with a little elemental chess game we are pulling together

Alongside a couple of the ideas @bierlingm is sharing?

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure I could do that. What sort of readiness is elemental chess in? And what sort of format are we talking about, like a conference call where you take us through starting and playing a game and we have a chat about the architecture, etc.?

2 Likes

I’ve already installed Elemental Chess and could help you get set up as well. I’m available for a little unofficial session so you see the current state of it, if interesting…

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll check it out and let you know. Can you link me to where I can find out about setting it up locally?

Here ya go: GitHub - eyss/elemental-chess

1 Like

Thanks very much. Is there a live version that is using Holochain for validation?

Do you mean a hosted version? Not a publicly accessible one on Holo yet, afaik.

But the basic Holochain app runs on your device without the need for a host.

Yeah, I was hoping for a hosted version. I think the main unknown for us is latency and time-to-validation, so a little live testing would go a long way. But, I get it, this is still a wip, so can you help me understand this a little? When two users are playing a game (for example), how are they connected? Do they get a direct P2P tunnel to play their game, and who connects them (who knows where they are?)?

1 Like

Check out this Twitter thread for a clearer understanding of how the connections happen:

Regarding validation, it should be virtually instant, especially when you use signals in addition to source chain entries.

Holo also runs a bootstrapping server, but anyone can run one. So it would be easy to have chess.com run their own and offer its users that service under the hood.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info. I’ve got a lot of reading to do :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think your best bet is to go to https://developer.holochain.org and read the core concepts section.

https://developer.holochain.org/concepts/

Signals for example are explained here: Signals - Holochain Docs

1 Like

@AndyJessop - want to jump on hosted elemental chess and play with me, we can connect with one of the devs who can answer your questions on how it works along the way?

1 Like

I would love to, thanks. I’m sure you’re busier than me, so let me know when you’re available.

2 Likes

Were you spreading C*^!D disinformation again Moritz?
Shame on you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Do you have to play real time David? Or can players take turns over a matter of days?
I’m not a grandmaster. In fact it’s been a real long time since I’ve played. But Chess is more exciting to me than chat.

@AndyJessop - how about 4pm UK time Wednesday 11 August?

2 Likes

@LifeSMyth elemental chess can handle days i believe, the little thing we are setting up will be sync though

1 Like

That would be perfect. Looking forward to it!