Alternative to meetup.com

My plan with groups is to add this later. Mucho complexity and it would make sense to MVP with individuals. An individual could start a group in the future…for now, an account could be a person/individual or an organisation with single credentials.

@AdriaanB It is a very opportune time to create a virtual meetup platform! Something the world needs right about now. Sounds like you’ve got some exciting stuff planned there.

3 Likes

Sounds brilliant Adriaan! Are you building it with MongoDB?
According to Arthur Brock, a centralised app would be easier to “port/convert” to Holochain later if its based on MongoDB…

I am using Postgres for now, since I have a lot of relational data (social network part). My experience with MongoDB is that it becomes a mess when trying to mimic a relational database. But maybe these days it became easier…

I don’t think I will port the whole app over to Holochain but will be looking into hybrid solutions. For example, each event/session will have a chatroom (ala Zoom) and this could be created/ported over to Holo&Holochain. Also interested in reputation systems and even payments. Not there yet, tho :slight_smile:

you could write a dHapp that utilizes smart contracts, chances are many of them will except they can function more expansively and efficiently. Holo is different because of the P2P nature of network communication. In software terms, It is a light weight client that is infinitely scalable. There can be hybrid applications where only maybe a part of, or a specific feature needs to use the advantages of DHT (distributed hash table) or other distributed hosting advantages. I could see alot of early dHapps offering SaaS

Yes definitely because there is alot of room for network customization. basically think about it as we are rebuilding the internet from scratch lol and with alot better technology available these days. each Holoport is your piece of what used to be a centralized server

These are very good questions you’re asking. Its up to the developers (and not just coders, everyone is a developer, everyone should contribute ideas!) What rules of reputation do you think are effective? How do we appropriately measure and distribute value as a collective? The good thing about Holo is there will be tons of access to metadata like we’ve never had before, with plenty of options to protect it. We’re going to be able to do alot of cool stuff with data and IoT.

How to avoid spam? Biometric logins would be helpful. Either way, the network can warn you of misbehavior within the membrane and then your account could be set to automatically warn your friends and block interaction. There are people working on these solutions. A big challenge (as always!) is DDoS and Sybil accounts

Validation could apply to alot of different concepts. Holo does not validate transactions because it does not require consensus. The dHapp you write or choose to use, could implement validation in a variety of ways. Within the core of Holo itself, there is validation of entries onto the DHT, its more of a coding term than a blockchain one. So again, you could further implement types of validation or authority rules. It’s basically like a file manager in a broad sense.
Ex:
@friedger event dHapp wants to use a voting system or some type of ratings given for reputation, but wants to make sure that only certain accounts can vote/rate. those could be approved admin (can even require photo ID) or they could be members that have reached a certain level of participation status etc
you could also keep 2 metrics - one only the admin see and one all members see
perhaps some community members votes are more weighted than others
the options are endless :slight_smile:
dont worry its not like every dHapp developer has to invent this stuff, there will be plenty of libraries to use. if you see a reputation feature that works, then go ahead and plug it in!
the Holo community is very collaborative. in the near future, we’re gonna have a bunch of open source tools to make the dev life easier

group entries into types (categories or authority level) and have editor_role_of. entry_type<entry_hash>