Share responses to the NextNet articles here

This is a thread for responses to the NextNet Series of articles by @artbrock and @joshmzemel. Please share any action you’re inspired to take or any ideas that you have after learning about unenclosable carriers such as Holochain. If you’re not sure about whether Holochain could be useful in solving a challenge you’re aware of, feel free to phrase your idea as a question!

If you haven’t read the NextNet Series, you can find it here:

18 Likes

Great article Art. I always find your writing and words to be highly inspiring. I made the video below a few months back on Holochain:

I would love to bring you on a new video to discuss all things holochain. Let me know if you are interested and what times work for you.

Thanks for all that you do.

12 Likes

I’m an artist, live streamer and content creator. Steps I’ve been taking to help the movement:

• reading these articles and others on my live streams and leading discussions about the concepts. I do this on Bigo and found that this is completely new for my viewers. As I’ve been learning, I’ve been sharing with them. Because I’m new to all of this too, it’s like we are all learning together. I’ve been able to at least plant the seed of thought into thousands of minds that trust me and my opinions.
  • content for twitter and tic tok : I screen record videos about Holochain, picking out what speaks to me, add captions and post.)
  • art creation : currently working on a Holochain art piece that I hope to barter for a holoport. I post progress photos and videos. Bringing some light hearted colorful ness to my Holochain content.
  • documentation of my learning : I have a medium account where I keep my notes and share links, thoughts, etc about what I’ve learned.
  • I also just started a hive account, and plan to share my Holochain content there as well. Im excited about this because I feel the people there are most likely to understand the framework.

My approach is about data ownership and freedom of expression. Those things impact my life the most as I am constantly censored on traditional social platforms and have lived below the poverty line my entire life. The unfair distribution of wealth we currently experience is always in my face. Im still fine tuning my messaging but I’ve narrowed it down to that.

But the main thing that attracted me to Holochain is the spiritual element. I instantly understood the concepts because they align with what I believe to be true about the way energy works in the reality we live in. This belief system was formed by my studies of unified physics, which the Holochain framework also aligns with.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I’m here and ready to help the movement!

8 Likes

Watch on #Periscope: Reading of: Unleashing the power of Unenclosable Carriers (and how Holochain Can Help) #holo #holochain

https://www.pscp.tv/w/cYLXFzF4ZUVXbFBycE9QUVB8MXpxS1ZsZWplcm1KQvrdLKTMeoNsNR2uV0J2miW3cktOR5842hC0hA8Tqfg_

3 Likes

Grant,

Wow! It looks like you really took the time to learn about Holochain and create a great way of sharing the fruits of your research. I’d be game to be in parts of a new video if you’re put together some questions you think should be answered there.

-art

2 Likes

I loved this series of articles - I think unenclosable is a great term and goes further than “open” (which I have tended to use previously) in describing “open in a way that cannot be closed”. The far-reaching implications of this then motivated and described through easy to understand examples.

I have been reading about copyleft recently and it strikes me there’s a similarity between what we might call the viral and reciprocation-forcing nature of GPL, and the unenclosable-ness of Holochain. The latter is extra cool because it’s “direct” and doesn’t require laws & courts & such to block enclosure.

With COVID, I am increasingly concerned that the shift of many events and outlets online has only further enclosed them in the Web 2.0 / platform capitalist net. It seems likely that precedents are being set for hosting & distribution, and the shackles may be hard to remove later. So the whole concept of unenclosability strikes me as very important in general, but even more so right now with lockdowns and a forced move of many “cultural commons” online.

3 Likes

For context–I build renewable energy infrastructure in Liberia (West Africa) one of the poorest countries on Earth. My logic is that Holochain apps will proliferate faster where the need is greatest and where there is weak competition from established institutions like banks and utility companies.

Questions:

1. Holochain generates a pathway for nearly any human to generate and capture value, in other words, Holochain provides easy and near universal access to a modern value asset in computer computation–how do you see this fact impacting impoverished communities? #slumcloud

2. Holochain’s Green Paper states that Holochain is for people that want to “take control of their data and online relationships,” However, if your digital self is an extension of your physical self, is not owning this digital data a human right? Many countries consider access to information/the Internet as a human right, seeing Holochain as the next evolution of the Internet can we extend this definition to cover Holochain applications? (note of transparency: I’m working with the Leap developers on a simple two step learning hApp that teaches users about their data rights and how these apps can “be a part of this complete breakfast” of a universal basic income.)

3 Likes

can holochain be used to create an alternative unenclosable mobile operating system in order to escape from the grips of ios and android

or can it be involved in the collaboration of current truly open source mobile operating systems like pureOS and /e/?

2 Likes

“All communication relies on one or more carriers. At the most basic level, when you’re speaking to a group of people in a room, the air is the carrier for the sound waves moving through it. You pass breath through your vocal chords and shape your mouth in funny ways, and a bunch of compression waves emerge and fill the room with information that others then decode. No one can just grab the words out of the air to stop them from reaching someone else. The carrier is unenclosable .”

Dear @artbrock thank you sharing for this series! I enjoyed the way it was structured, as well as your openness to feedback while writing the series.

Thanks also for your invitation for responses/feedback.

It might take a few tries for me to get to the right question.

I am that quiet kid in the back of class who at first seems to not pay attention, but who (upon questioning/getting to know) you find just has a lot of stuff going on at home, which means he doesn’t ask for help quickly, or in the time the teacher originally planned for it. So again, it might take a few tries for me to even get to the right question, or to the question I really mean to ask underneath. So I can come across as that kid who puts up their hand annoyingly after you’ve already just spent a long time explaining things throughly, and who then says “I still don’t get it”. I am that kid who might not have as solid a base as some of the others have, and who might need a few more examples, or another angle, or a slightly different way of having things explained to him.

Ok so this is my first attempt:

Although I’ve spent time reading about unclosability, I think my need for clarity is still not fully met, as I still struggle to explain it to others.

How would you explain it to an 8 year old, or to a tech illiterate mom (like Rob Fitzpatrick’s ‘The Mom Test’)? I somehow intuitively understand that this quality (of unenclosability) is a major selling point or feature of the new Commons paradigm, but somehow i haven’t found an explanation that is simple enough for me to really be able to play with it (my background: I have built full centralized apps using Rails)

Does Matthew Schutte’s ‘peer to monopoly to peer’ (centralized architecture) vs. ‘peer to peer’ (distributed/Holochain architecture) example fit into this?

Do you think you could you help me define how and what a carrier which is (today) enclosable [instead of unenclosable] looks like? Please could you share a few example of enclosable carriers today? I often find using contrast or comparisons (in this case putting enclosable and unenclosable side by side), or using a spectrum, helpful to understand differences.

Please let me know if there’s anything unclear about this request.

I like this scene from Margin Call, and I think it’s appropriate for how I see myself and my question in this instance:

“Please speak to me as you might to a young child… or a golden retriever”
2 Likes

@artbrock Thank you for writing this great series.

I’m still very much early in my journey of discovery of Holochain. In the short term future, I plan to continue learning about it, share what I learn on socials, and get involved in the community.

In the longer term, I’m not yet sure on how I will be able to contribute, my background is in economics, sustainability, and entrepreneurship, but I have no technical knowledge.

I’ll figure something out!

4 Likes