Looking to hire someone to help get me up to speed

Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a hard time getting up to speed with coding Holochain. Is there anyone out there I can hire - for a few hours, give or take - to help get me set up?

The ideal end result, in case it’s not obvious: a basic browser front-end connecting to a Holo back-end. I’d need to be able to tweak the data model - by working with the back-end, not from the browser. Based on my current understanding of how this would work, I’d probably want to set up different docker containers for different users, collaborating on the same system.

From what little I’ve seen so far, CRISPR might be ideal but I don’t mind starting with fewer features. It’s not connecting successfully to port 33000, so I’m feeling like getting some help. I’m not sure that’s the best way to go, but maybe it is…?

Does such a system already exist? If so, I have not found it despite having looked for a while now…

I’m just looking to get setup to square one easily and quickly and I seem to need some extra hand-holding to get there.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @concordis,

So here are some resources that should get you started (if not, we need to fix those):

• Install guides: for installation instructions.
  • Holochain Gym: interactive exercises and tutorials to learn step-by-step.
  • Holochain Open Dev: tons of examples of frontends connected to backend which should work out of the box.
  • Acorn the most complete happ at the moment as far as I know.

Do you have some dev experience? Rust may be very challenging at first, you can try these tips as well.

If you are trying these and get some error, which one do you get? IMO it’s better to do this here on the open since other devs can help in things I may not be able to :).

3 Likes

Thank you for your message and for the links, and for contributing so much to this project.

In my dreamworld, there would be a Dockerfile and I would be able to play with a simple front-end via localhost:8080. (This is the kind of thing I’m talking about paying someone to help me set up.)

Back in this world, however…

I’m trying to set up Acorn. Where can I find the hash I need to paste into install-holochain.sh, according to the README? I’m running holochain 0.0.100 in case that’s helpful, which I suspect it’s not.

Should this be obvious? I don’t remember ever having to do this for any other project I’ve ever installed. Anyway, I’ve been running into too many of these issues for comfort. I must not be the only one…

Thank you again

Exactly what I’ve been advocating for all this time… Such a setup would really have helped normal people (remember, programmers are abnormal; haha) to get started; though I personally am quite comfortable with the current setup, and won’t want another “black-box” abstraction on top of nix and everything…

1 Like

Hey, what does it even do? I’ve heard (and often run into) this thing myself, but yet have to figure out what it’s all about… The name is anything but descriptive. Is it yet another chat app? Looks like some team management and organization thing… {Never mind}

Hum is the goal to set some kind of developer environment setup? If so I would recommend greatly going through the trouble of installing nix, it’s very well worth it.

If this is only to play with holochain, you can find a docker image [here] (https://github.com/guillemcordoba/holochain-rsm-docker), and you can always go and play with the compository .

1 Like

It’s a planning and collaboration tool. Their docs are stored in a separate repo which you may find helpful to learn more: https://github.com/h-be/acorn-docs

1 Like

They would have been far better off had they built a distributed mind-mapping tool for organizing one’s internal analytical and reasoning-derived conclusions as nodes of disperse (and often interconnected) inverse-trees. Communicating via. linear book/words format is very ineffective. The app should have special nodes called “axioms”, “assumptions”, “evidential/empirical-knowledge”, etc from which to link one’s derivations.

For example, “man was a product of nature”, “nature is harsh & hellish”, “hell produces evil”, “so man will forever be evil” (haha, classic praxeology). I may further link empirical evidence that supports this conclusion so as to reinforce the truth in the conclusion.

If you think otherwise, I would simply ask you to share your node that says “men are butterflies, and women are angels”, then I’d be able to see the assumptions and the empirical-evidence based upon which you derived this conclusion, and would be able to point directly to the faulty node in your graph. For example, you may have made an assumption that “God created men to enjoy life”, and I’d directly point to that one (i.e., I’d say that God did not create man, Darwin did! Haha).

This would bring upon us a KNOWLEDGE AGE, emerging out of the INFORMATION AGE that we currently live in… Information would cease to be barely informative; it would start becoming knowledge. Neurons that fire together wire together. New information would start fitting-in our existing model of knowledge, and if it doesn’t or somehow contradicts some part of it (for instance, in a classic Bayesian example, the Sun one day rises in the West), we’d be able to correct the faulty nodes.

This way, our communication would be very high bandwidth and right-on-the-point (free of distractions, free of silly self-defenses, free of facial expressions, free of linguistic errors, and so on).

We don’t need NeuraLink for any of this. In fact, such a (h)app would be way superior than NeuraLink in that the peace and clarity of mind & thought that it would induce on the user would be unparalleled to what NeuraLink (and the likes) could ever dream of! Actually, they don’t even touch these subjects.

It should offer nice 3D workspaces (or simply, meta-2D, or nested-windowed 2D UI) that go deeper and deeper, as deep as you wish to go. At every step, it should help present one with what one is trying to deduce, and what he’s trying to deduce it from. So revisiting a conclusion and knowing how it was reached would be a breeze (which it isn’t in the current mind-mapping tools). It should offer alerts in case taking into consideration one node and not another which is very tightly and intrinsically linked to it would probably mean coming to a wrong conclusion. Plus I wouldn’t mind a bit of natural language processing AI in the UI. [Am I asking for too much? Oh, please, you can do this. I have faith in you. :–)]

It would be the greatest tool humanity has ever created thus far! Indeed, mind-mapping would revolutionize the world in a way that fire, or the wheel, or the iPhone never could! It would indeed be a very liberating invention.

Sure, fictional books would still be written the way they are, chat and small-talk would still be done the same way as it is done today, but besides that, pretty much everything would benefit from such a tool.

Trust me, the world doesn’t need yet another Scrum/Agile team-management and work-management tool! And still, if you wish to waste your efforts and energies on something that nobody would ever find useful, then sure do continue improving it…

Trusting the existing mind-mapping online services is one hell of a dangerous idea! Plus they don’t have the features I described. Plus, imagine those service providers peeking into your private mind! They can do so; it’s within their terms & conditions! Plus imagine if such a service goes down: one would be left brainless in the very literal sense of the word!

This is something that sure as hell needs to be happified as soon as possible. And the earlier the better (because, from then on, we’d all be making lot better decisions about the future course of Holo(chain) itself; so cool).

I really hope that they (the people who worked on Acorns, who have every potential needed to actually change the world) read this. I’d really appreciate it.

This post may have some info that’s helpful: Using nix for dev ops, with holochain rsm - example

You literally use the hash in the readme, or so I believe.

FWIW I got acorn running successfully on my Mac, but then when I tried again a few months later I could not get it to work again, not any other RSM app, even after nuking and reinstalling nix, etc, etc.

Thank you Harlan and guillemcordoba,

I was able to get the compository running and will try to use this as a basis for research.

1 Like