Is everything broken in holochain land - Hello World fails even with example code?

So maybe the problem is nix - but nix was working fine until recently (and I haven’t upgraded OS) so sounds like miss-match somewhere, (which is hilarious given the selling point of nix being cross-platform …) any idea how to solve this.

What OS are you running?

MacOS 10.14.6

1 Like

I’m running Mac OS 10.14.6 as well, and at least the core functionality - compile / run was running before the holidays, maybe there was an update in holo or something in that period that caused it to play badly with the nix ?

I’ve updated nix, and nothing changed @harlan - you said getting nix working on latest OSX was painful, can you explain what you had to do - or was it just to do with OSX10.15 ? (I’m on 10.14.6) and dead in the water for a month now :frowning:

@mitra42 this is what solved my issue on Catalina — Nix on MacOS Catalina

Unrelated to your issue AFAICT.

Looks like noone is interested in this issue, completely stuck with doing any dev on holochain since “hc” doesn’t work :frowning:

Maybe join the devcamp in progress? There are live support sessions there.

yes - joined it, haven’t been able to get on any of the live sessions yet, and not sure how to, or how to bring this issue with a broken dev environment to it. The call announcement I got refers to a specific topic " Entry Design and a demo of Passthrough DNA." which there’s really no point in me participating in since the basic environment in which I’d build something isn’t working (even after deleting and reinstalling nix)

Hi @mitra42, I just found this github issue.

Did you manage to solve the issue and are there other people with the same problem?

Hi Adriaan
No - I did not manage to solve the issue (for over a month now) and I would have no way to know if other people have the same problem other than a post by someone else here. @pauldaoust said he’d do a screen share with me at 2pm San Francisco time today, though he says he’s not a Mac expert, so if its Mac specific we might not be able to solve it.

A really wild guess and complete noob when it comes to Nix. But, maybe this command will help:

nix-env -f https://holochain.love -iA holochain.hc

What version do you get when you run ‘hc --version’?

Turns out its a bug in hc https://github.com/holochain/holochain-rust/issues/2097

3 weeks and much yelling to get attention, 15 mins to locate, 1 min to work around. I have to say that if it wasn’t for the relationship I have with several of the Holo team, I would have walked away, and have done from other packages. I hope too many other developers don’t hit similar problems in the working environment, the tutorials or the support, and walk away, thinking that its an indication of how hard it will be to develop on the platform.

@mitra42 Ah yes, the reality of software. Thanks for working with the devs to help troubleshoot this bug, someone always has to be the first to run into it. If you switched to a clean environment with a new computer or a remote server, sure you would’ve had a working development environment much quicker, but without your persistence it would’ve taken much longer to resolve this problem, and many more people would’ve been affected.

It’s clear that you care deeply about the project. Keen to hear more about where you want to take it!

2 Likes

THanks @marcus. Of course that just got a working environment, I tried rerunning the tutorial but its still got bugs - going to Issues · holochain/docs-pages · GitHub there are people reporting almost the same bugs now for over a month, but it doesn’t seem anyone from the Holo team pays attention to the git issues any more, as none of the bugs appear to have responses from the team :frowning:

And as far as being an ‘investor’: the team has been nothing but upfront about their developments and challenges. They are on unknown terrain. Are you going to build and develop the Holochain pattern all by yourself? They have not sold any equity, or given anything away, so by ‘investing’ you have already given up control. The Holochain source code, amongst other things, is being developed in the open. If you don’t like it: go fork it, remix it, and make it beautiful the way you imagine. Please don’t come on here and throw stuff in other people’s faces when they have given so much already (my opinion).

This is not investing. This is taking part in something bigger than yourself. You obviously seem to have very high expectations. Please check your grandiosity before making unneccesary claims of everything being broken.

When planting seeds I do not shout at them to hurry up and grow, just because they’re not growing at the speed i want them to. They need love and care.

Anyways, I got nothing against you. Big love to you buddy, keep on keeping on :purple_heart:

Edit/note: Your post has been bugging me for a while. I was waiting for someone to say something, but that hadn’t happened. I want to say I am definitely not smart enough to be on the Holo team, but I am a big enough admirer to step in for a friend against a bully/troll.

4 Likes

Hey @zeemarx_jeremyboom8, calm down please. I think you are taking it a bit too far and your tone is a bit aggressive. Please don’t attack people on the forum.

Nobody is right or wrong here. Holochain is/was super busy with the Holoports and the reset. Normally these type of issues would have gotten support much sooner. Hopefully, this will improve and the community can also try to help in these cases in the future.

On the other hand, @mitra42 is the decentralisation tech lead at the Internet Archive. Such prospects would have gotten dedicated support in the traditional world. Missed oppertunity, but understandable from within the context this happened.

1 Like

Thanks very much @AdriaanB for chiming in; I somehow missed follow-ups to this conversation. Yes, it was a missed opportunity. I think it was somewhat unavoidable given the issues you mentioned, but that doesn’t mean that it was harmless for us to drop the ball here. Still important to do cleanup and keep building trust. @freesig and I are now having weekly triage sessions on documentation bugs, and today I noticed that the core team are committing to a higher standard for the HDK docs.

@ pauldaoust, I’m following the tutorial but keep getting compile errors (./run_build):

error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libthiserror_impl-c962feca972ceb0b.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/thiserror-1.0.24/src/lib.rs:193:9
    |
193 | pub use thiserror_impl::*;
    |         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libthiserror_impl-c962feca972ceb0b.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/thiserror-1.0.24/src/lib.rs:193:9
    |
193 | pub use thiserror_impl::*;
    |         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: aborting due to previous error

error: could not compile `thiserror`.

To learn more, run the command again with --verbose.
warning: build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...
error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libtracing_attributes-a79b082d39e0455c.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/tracing-0.1.25/src/lib.rs:905:9
    |
905 | pub use tracing_attributes::instrument;
    |         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libtracing_attributes-a79b082d39e0455c.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/tracing-0.1.25/src/lib.rs:905:9
    |
905 | pub use tracing_attributes::instrument;
    |         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libserde_derive-5d8f111242b32225.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/serde-1.0.123/src/lib.rs:293:1
    |
293 | extern crate serde_derive;
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/lucas/holochain/developer-exercises/1.basic/3.links/exercise/target/release/deps/libserde_derive-5d8f111242b32225.so)
   --> /home/lucas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/serde-1.0.123/src/lib.rs:293:1
    |
293 | extern crate serde_derive;
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

error: build failed

Wow that’s interesting. Can you post the details of your os, also are you using the nix-shell? And also which commit of Holochain Gym are you in?