Holochain Forum

Hosting Steps, Requirements, and Software

Hello,

First, I want to say that I am a huge fan of Holo and have been doing what I can to save money for a Holoport. However, after a serious situation with a family member, I’ve been given no choice but to give up my hope for ever being able to afford one.

I’m not a super programmer and don’t know a lot of the terminology, but I have mined Monero, Electroneum, and even created a Monero mining pool. These accomplishments occurred after hours and hours of studying, following detailed instructions, etc. Although it wasn’t profitable, it taught me a LOT about the crypto space. Then I discovered Holochain.

I’ve been able to accumulate some HOT and want to actually participate in the network. That said, can someone please direct me to the source for the diy hosting software? It’s not looking like I’ll be able to purchase a Holoport for at least another year, but I do want/need the experience involved in joining the network.

Also, is there a source with detailed instructions on how to actually diy host?

I apologize if this has been asked by someone else, but I’ve spent the last two hours trying to find concrete answers and don’t want to waste any more time if this isnt actually possible.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hey Fibo, welcome to the Holochain community!

The short answer to your question: there is currently no DIY hosting software you can use. That is on the roadmap, but later than a healthy beta network with functioning HoloPorts.

However, Holochain and Holochain apps are usable right now. So if you want to get your feet wet, hands dirty, and mind engaged, you can play with those right now!

If you share a bit more about what your primary interests here are, we can direct you to the appropriate conversations and apps. :smiley:

Thank you for the information. If I simply wanted to browse, and possibly use) the networks of apps (like the Google playstore), where would I begin?

The easiest to get started is to download Holoscape:

Once you’ve got that running on your computer, you have a “hApp Store” in it that allows you to install a couple basic apps.

2 Likes