Hologram - ubiquitous augmented reality layers

Again this is also part of the smartphone version of Our World that uses AR… :grin:

I would love to collaborate with you on this… :grin:

https://chat.holochain.org/appsup/channels/our-world-netclient

1 Like

@marcus I love the two use cases at the bottom of your readme:

• What could a ubiquitous virtual world do for mathematics? Instead of a piece of paper as your canvas, we would have a dynamic 3D world to explore and manipulate mathematical objects and equations.

• What could it do for transcontextual explorations of complex systems? We could express the complexity of human systems through a process of co-creation of a virtual world, mapping not only the causal loops but also the contextual detail in the relationships between parts, between subsystems.

These seem like very worthwhile applications of something like this. Have you checked out Bret Victor’s work? Two things of his that might be relevant to you are:

• Dynamicland, an augmented reality programming environment that uses a room, a projector, a camera, and stacks of paper.
  • Seeing Spaces, which appears to be a precursor to Dynamicland.
  • The Humane Representation of Thought, about presentations that are understandable and dispense with all the abstract equations that are hard to visualise.

Actually, pretty much everything from Bret is brillian.

3 Likes

“What could it do for transcontextual explorations of complex systems? We could express the complexity of human systems through a process of co-creation of a virtual world, mapping not only the causal loops but also the contextual detail in the relationships between parts, between subsystems.”

Can you please explain and expand on what you mean by this please? Thanks. :grin::pray::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Wow Dynamicland looks awesome! :grin: Would love to try that out! :grin: I have had similar ideas for Our World but that is the AR Map part of the smartphone version where you can all interact with the 3D map projected onto a flat surface where you can all interact with it. Currently it needs a camera but I have thought about a projector version too similar to Dynamicland… :sparkling_heart::pray::grin:

1 Like

@dellams It’s partly provocative (because I’m not sure exactly what would be possible, keeping it liminal), and partly inspired by Nora Bateson’s work on Warm Data Labs. I’ll defer my opinion on this for now because I’m still not sure, but I really like to see these technologies used specifically in a context where people are - in good faith - trying to make sense of a complex system together using all the tools available to aid in that.

One way of looking at complex systems and networks, in a “colder” sense, is with causal-loop models and network flow graphs. While they only provide a limited sense of a system’s complexity, they’re at least honestly representative of the data that generates them. Being able to ‘explode’ these models in 3D space might be pretty awesome (like Obi-Wan’s space map in Attack Of The Clones!)

You might also come up with a good reason to label things in the world to help people understand the complexity of the world around them as they just go about their day. You could show how things are connected in a heads-up display (kinda like in that Person Of Interest show haha!)

I dunno, I think there’s a graduation of levels that would be more “cold” in their representation, only scraping the surface of complexity, while others would be “warmer” and an AR app would be really reaching its limits – that’s where real human-human interaction matters, as well as art (in whatever medium), podcasts, books and other similarly information-rich situations.

1 Like

When you can go into ‘Our World’ and have a jar of honey fully explained - the making of the jar and the keeping of the bees to produce the honey - then it will be truely amazing.