Holochain & HoloFuel: Please help me clarify

Hey everyone, I’m still trying to wrap my head around if / how / to what extent Holochain and Holo+HoloFuel play together in order to harmonize my understanding of the concepts - and I thought that the forum might be a good place to help me - and maybe others as well - with that :slight_smile:

So, in simplified terms, the way I understand Holochain is that I can run any hApp out there “without cost” by simply hosting the hApp and my own source chain myself and using my own computing power to do that. If I don’t want to - or can’t - host myself I have to go through Holo which offers me to do the hosting for me (as a service) in exchange for a fee (since I’m using their computing power) paid for in HoloFuel. I hope that my understanding is more or less correct so far. If not, please also feel free to let me know.

So, where my actual question comes in now is: what happens if I decide to go with hosting myself and use my own computing power, BUT reach a limit of my own power, say because I’m using some kind of storage-intense hApp like a hYouTube and I’m adding a lot of big video files to my source chain and the network from my end. What happens if I exceed my own node’s storage capacity (say because I’m running it only on a smartphone)? Do other peers in the network then step in and take over some of my (storage) load? Or is this a point where Holo & Holofuel step in? And how does the communication between the components then work? — as you all see, this is where all my questions arise.

I’m sure that I’m just missing a tiny piece of information to complete my understandings of the concepts and I hope that someone out there might be able to deliver it :slight_smile:
Lot’s of gratitude goes out to all of you!

All the best from Berlin,
Kevin

2 Likes

yep, you got it!

So, where my actual question comes in now is: what happens if I decide to go with hosting myself and use my own computing power, BUT reach a limit of my own power, say because I’m using some kind of storage-intense hApp like a hYouTube and I’m adding a lot of big video files to my source chain and the network from my end. What happens if I exceed my own node’s storage capacity (say because I’m running it only on a smartphone)? Do other peers in the network then step in and take over some of my (storage) load? Or is this a point where Holo & Holofuel step in? And how does the communication between the components then work? — as you all see, this is where all my questions arise.

yep, all of that logic could definitely be programmed into a hApp: a hApp which would run both on your own computer/device as well as on a Holo host node/server. i think a lot of what you describe will likely be developed by Holo? since it’s a question of data redundancy, which is essential to the Holochain framework.

depending on how you program the hApp, if you want to use any computing power on the Holo network (starting by having an active and spendable Holofuel wallet with valid credits) you would make preliminary agreements with Holo (which itself has agreements with it’s nodes/hosts). these agreements would then start to be enforced at the moment that the hApp is launched on the Holo hosting network (i.e. the clock would start ticking on your Holo ‘rental agreement’ and you would start spending your Holofuel credit (redeeming computing power)).

i hope that answers your question and please keep sharing your questions if you want to! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great stuff, thank you for your quick reply @jeremyboom8 — it’s really helpful to get one’s own understanding validated! :slight_smile:

1 Like