Holochain for hetrogeneous IoT devices

how to use holochain for securing IoT devices across different networks ?

1 Like

@Rzan

Hi @Kinza

Here are some general security benefits in using Holochain for IoT:

In terms of the Availability

• You can use a Holochain in your IoT application to cope with some availability issues found in centralized systems such as (Single point of failure).
    Actually, there are a lot of IoT applications based on a central cloud and these applications also suffer from response delay since a single centralized server can not proficiently handle the massive amount of data produced by IoT devices. So, using a distributed system such as Holochain could be a best choice for large IoT systems.

In terms of Data Integrity:

• A DHT system used in Holochain allows you to detect the tampering of data shared among IoT devices. So, if anyone tries to mess with data shared in your network, others can detect them by checking the hash value of the original data and compare it with the received data.

As-well, validation rules in Holochain allow you to define your own security rules and force your network members to follow them. For example, as an access control in the healthcare field, you can define some rules to protect the data of your patients. So, you can specify who can access or modify these data (specific doctors, some family members of the patient, etc.)

Hope I answered your question :relaxed:

Could you tell me what are your concerns regarding the security of IoT devices?
is it about the data privacy, integrity, or the availability of shared data? and which type of IoT applications you are working on or interested in? is it for health care, business field, or something else?

4 Likes

hello I want to continue my research regarding resource constraint nature of IoT devices and scalability . If we can use holochain where IoT devices have very limited resources and devices are mobile means that they are continuously changing theit positions. How will it effect the latency and speed of devices when there are millions of devices ? And how much processing power is used by a sensor and what should be done to make it scalable ? Is there any method of using fog or edge or using and device as a gateway ? Can you please suggest me on what type of IoT devices should I continue my research or any use case ? is there any real world implementation where IoT devices are working on holochain platform? How good it is when we compare it with hashgraph and IOTA?

Hi @kinza, for sensors that are very lightweight I think you would need gateways to collect its data and do some local processing/data aggregation-compression before sending it to internet. With more traffic on shared network, we could see impact on latency. That’s why some gateways filter data collected by local sensors before sending them back to the cloud.

how much processing power is used by a sensor and what should be done to make it scalable

I think that depends on what the sensor needs to do. Some sensors just measure moisture, temperature, etc., and send the data to a gateway. That’s probably pretty lightweight. Other types might be more complex and need to have more resource.

Do you want to have a call to discuss?

Did holochain loses its feature of decentealization we need gateways to collect data in order to overcome the problem of delay cause by heavy traffic?

Hi @kinza, Holochain is definitely decentralized. Sorry if what I was caused some confusion. I was referring to devices that are very lightweight, which might only have bluetooth connectivity, such as the ones that could only data like moisture level, temperature, etc. It’s not to solve the problem of delay caused by traffic.

These very lightweight devices won’t be able to speak to Holochain directly today, and would need some mechanism to bridge/connect these devices with Holochain systems.

@hedayat has been looking into IoT