Holochain concept confusion regarding internet usage

Okay let me get my question straight haha (super sorry for the confusion regarding my question)

In the case of holochain or P2P between multiple nodes in the same DHT(exe: messenger platform), does it requires internet usage for A or B or C or D to send/upload their own shards to the receiver/downloader?

Downloader in this case is E, which is a new node entered the DHT that wants to see the picture uploaded by A.

Well a Holochain application IS a network. It does not require Holo hosting to be a network. As I said before, Holochain applications use the Internet, meaning users connect to each other (that’s what makes it a p2p application, after all), without the need for hosting.

Yes, the files are stored on the machine running the holochain application, and then must be sent across the network to the other node.

1 Like

I’m going to say yes, if data is requested and set, then Internet “quota” is being used.

1 Like

Yeah but dude cmon on those A, B, C, D nodes could be on “another” island. You assume those nodes are in the same neighborhood. That’s flawed view. We are talking about the macro. Sure they can in your answer, but that’s not what he is asking, but at the same-time I see your point there.

Neighborhood refers to closeness of the hash, not literally geographic neighborhood. But I’m sorry I’m not sure what you’re trying to say exactly. Even if I were talking about geographical neighborhoods it wouldn’t make any difference. They could still be using Holochain without using Holo, and no Holofuel would be needed to pay for data transfer, and no 95% would be required.

now we are talking about Holochain as its own network it is, cause its unique to each node correct? So in the event something is offline natural disaster or just offline. How does the quota work?

I’m honestly not sure what OP was referring to with “quota,” maybe data cap of users Internet service from their ISP?

It’s not clear to me what you’re asking here. What is unique to each node? There are redundant copies of data (I believe the level of redundancy can be specified by the app developer), so that reduces the likelihood of data loss even in a natural disaster. And then when nodes go offline, then the redundancy requirements ensure that other nodes pick up the slack. But yeah, it could happen that if enough nodes went offline there could be data loss. But note that the network can also heal itself after the nodes come back online (to an extent, AFAIK).

Yea by “quota” i means the data cap given by your internet provider

So this process of transfering the shards requires internet usage right? And this happen multiple times when the data is copied among the DHT to increase the redundancy?

I’m not sure exactly how much “redundant” gossip you might end up receiving (as in, receiving the same data multiple times from different neighbors), since I’m not familiar with the internals of the holochain framework.

I think the goal is to design your network (your holochain app) in a way where the hashes are distributed and saturated very evenly, to the point where the ideal is that everyone in the network evenly distributes all validation, storage, and serving of files. So you would be receiving gossip from DHT neighbors, and then passing along that gossip yourself. Again, in an ideal scenario with a pure holochain application, each user would be taking roughly an equal share of that “data center” role, which would use more bandwidth and processing than just being a passive client, in return for the benefits of data ownership and decentralization.

1 Like