Gaja: climate accounting app and carbon marketplace

Team Size: 1

Description: Carbon marketplace

Resources:

Similar app or site: There is no global carbon marketplace, but there is an example video on this page with Ontario, Canada, linking up to California, and then other states.

I am at: Design and implementation: I know that holochain is the right tool for my app and now need to design & implement the app.

Skills: list any skills that are needed for your project. Includes technical (languages, technologies) and not-so-technical (fund raising, community outreach). Rate your team proficiency from 0 - 10 for each skill

• Holochain knowledge: 7
  • Front-End: React (1), Angular (1), …
  • Back-End: Rust (7), C++ (4), NodeJs (4)
  • UI/UX: CSS (2), Photoshop (1)
  • Others: fund raising (5)

Commitment: how much time are you willing to commit for the project: maybe full-time for a short time, but more likely part-time or on the side while working with another part-time job.

What do I need: what do you need for your project to go further? I can design and implement myself, but need funding for sustainability.

3 Likes

Today I launched a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo here. Please check it out!

1 Like

Currently I am working at Simble, which provides cloud-based energy monitoring, analytics, control and carbon reporting. I suggested these ideas to my manager.

I have three ideas that could use our existing products and Holochain. They are as follows:

1. Port the backend of our products to run on Holo rather than AWS
  2. Implement a Holofuel-like cryptocurrency that rewards carbon abatement projects (e.g. verified carbon offset projects, renewable energy, energy efficiency, reafforestation, enhanced weathering a la Project Vesta, direct air capture a la Carbon Engineering, synthetic biology a la Lanzatech, etc.), and that is uses to pay for carbon offsetting. As you know, CarbonView’s carbon reporting is well-positioned to integrate with carbon offsetting, because it measures how much carbon should be offset.
  3. Form a partnership with Redgrid to use demand response management and virtual minigrids.

He replied back to say “We should talk about 2 and the amount of investment required”.

my rough guess (based on how long it has taken other cryptocurrency projects to develop (and they are all still being developed) like Holo, Holochain, Redgrid, Decentr, Ethereum, etc.), is that it could take a few years with a team of developers, so on the order of hundreds of thousands to a million or more dollars, and more likely in the millions of dollars. There might be an opportunity for it to be less expensive than this if there is more ecosystem support to develop Holochain apps, but the longer you wait for more and more ecosystem support, the more you risk someone else developing a competing solution before you and beating you to the market, and gaining most of the market share (winner takes most).

As for Gaja, there is not much to report in terms of updates. I published a few articles on Medium. And launched a staking pool on Stakes Social which has received a significant amount of staking.