Do Holochain applications act as a federation accessible to other Holochain or are they private?

I, am exploring Holochain as a test case solution for an application. I am very intrigued by the data security concept DNA provided. So here is a hypothetical scenario:

So let’s say I want to create a network for brain surgeons in America using Holochain and DNA protocols so they can send and retrieve encrypted data. Can I maintain total anonymity and privacy between my brain surgeons by using Holochain without them worrying about the integrity of their data or other networks that are not American brain surgeons?

Is it possible to build a completely private network that allows only a select group of users to access it?

I just want to know if I build a network for my use case that it will be totally private and nothing or no other Holochain app can request data or access or will be exposed to outside sources without permission?

that’s right. with the addendum that app developers can set different levels or types of security controls (the “permission” you mention) that would govern who can join the network.

3 Likes

It’s possible to build a completely private network, yes; it’s also possible (for projects and communities which want to) to build a boundless variety of integrations between networks-- for example, creating federated network structures. But, you can create strictly permission-based privacy.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, this helps immensely

That’s exactly what i needed to know thank you,

With the system of Call and Capabilities, you can manage with precision with who can access to the DHT, can call which zome function, etc. It seems to be a very flexible system.

1 Like