Distributed Coordination/Collaboration Platform

I’ve been a part of a collective space from which we consider and develop potential future civilizational forms (called “gameb”).
The current platform we’re using to collaborate is a Facebook group.

Very soon after the experiment began, we started to witness many issues that very quickly made it clear that the FB group medium is insufficient for what we’re trying to do.

I had the idea of using Holochain to develop a distributed collaboration platform and I wanted to pick your brains and see how we can build such a platform, that’s wired towards consensus-building which would enable the group at play to: stay on the same page (in a sustainable manner at minimum), sense-make, make decisions, allocate resources, choose objectives, etc, in a highly efficient and intuitive fashion.

I came across the Acorn project (developed in Holochain), which I believe has a great potential in driving something like this.
There is a segment in the documentation called “Vision and Evolution”, which outlines the idea of Aperspectival OpenSource Coordination:

One of the key things we see possible with Acorn is its potential for better coordinating Open Source projects. We see a few key aspects to making this happen:

1. Multi-perspective trees: There is no reason why there should just be one tree. In fact in our envisioned implementation each person maintains their own view on the tree (like git), and the interesting part comes in processes for merging state changes and/or linking new branches into a commonly held view of the tree. There are lots of opportunities for UI and rendering of these multi-perspective trees, similarly to the way we use GUI renderings of branches in git.
  2. Public trees: publishing our SoA tree is a very powerful way to make visible the state of thinking of a team, and therefore create surface area for contribution. Assuming a multi-perspective interface exists we easily imagine the equivalent of creating pull requests, but for changes to the tree, rather than code changes. Thus the community at large can explore and visualize multiple solutions to particular Unknowns on the tree.
  3. Attributes enhancements: The ability to add attributes onto tree nodes we are sure will be used for lots of important purposes, i.e. community “voting” on importance of given intentions.

Imagine a git-tree-like collaborative whiteboard platform where the “master” whiteboard houses the global consensus of the group and people can branch out, make changes/additions and open a PR, which if is agreed upon by a decentralized decision making system, updates the master whiteboard.

There are many things at play here but I figure this is enough to get a conversation started.
Curious to hear what you think!

5 Likes

Hi Omer, I think you see exactly the intent behind Acorn. Thur current project is prototype, and we look forward to lots of open source collaboration to take it to its full potential.

-Eric

2 Likes