Need suggestions on how should one approach setting up their own Discourse Forum?
Context: We are working towards creating a student coder cooperative to facilitate, engage and assist students on their learning journey.
In order to achieve this one of the tool in our toolkit could be a forum. Thus need suggestions on following:
- Should we approach Discourse organization for a paid service? Which could cost us $50 a month. (Resources we may not have or would not like to commit)
- Should we DIY from Discourse open source code has made available on their site?
The reason we ask is following:
- Resource constraints
- Adherence to Learning by Doing philosophy
- Customize / tailor to our needs
Stuff we would like to learn:
- Difficulty in DIY
- Hosting or other technical consideration
- Cost Benefit analysis