Changes to the light/dark forum theme

Hey folks. I’ve made some changes to the theme; the biggest difference you’re likely to notice is that, if you chose the dark theme, it’ll be back to the light theme. There might also be some wonky styling at the bottom of the page; a hard-refresh should fix that!

1 Like

I switched it to dark again and it just went immediately back to light when I clicked to the home page…

2 Likes

It works fine for me. Maybe it’s something to do with cache?

Weird, yeah, I’m guessing it’s cache-related? Other possibility is that the UI is not that great at showing what’s actually happening. The visual changes happen immediately when you choose the dark theme in the dropdown, but they don’t actually ‘take’ until you press ‘Save Changes’ at the bottom of the interface page. Took me a few disappointments to discover this…

Also, any other forum pages you already have open won’t actually change, even if you navigate from URL to URL in the forum. You have to do a refresh to see the changes. As I type this right now, I see the dark UI even though I know I’ve selected the light one.

It seems the Discourse maintainers have a little bit of work to do with theme-changing UX… :thinking:

Also, hello again @Brooks! It’s been a while since I’ve seen you! The forum software says the same:

How you been keeping anyway???

1 Like

Yeah hi! Nice to see you too :slight_smile: I got quite sidetracked with my monastic adventure… first I spent three months doing the apprenticeship program at the Monastic Academy for the Preservation of Life on Earth (MAPLE) in Vermont, and for the last few months I’ve been in Ontario helping to found the first Canadian branch of MAPLE.

So I tried clearing cache and restarting my browser and it didn’t fix it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

No problems here. Dark theme (oh how I love thee) seemed to stick on Firefox.

1 Like

I found dark theme in the preference menu (proud of myself here) and it’s working well on Chromebook. Synced immediately to Android also. It’s just that I cant see my keyboard now…

2 Likes