Can't package project

hc app init cc_tuts // works
hc app pack ./cc_tuts
 Error: IO error: ffs::IoError at path '/home/lucas/holochain/tuts/cc_tuts/./path/to/my/dnabundle.dna': No such file or directory (os error 2)
backtrace:
   0: holochain_util::ffs::io_error::IoError::new
   1: <core::future::from_generator::GenFuture<T> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
   2: <futures_util::future::maybe_done::MaybeDone<Fut> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
   3: <futures_util::future::join_all::JoinAll<F> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
   4: holochain_cli_bundle::cli::HcAppBundle::run::{{closure}}
   5: <core::future::from_generator::GenFuture<T> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
   6: tokio::park::thread::CachedParkThread::block_on
   7: tokio::runtime::thread_pool::ThreadPool::block_on
   8: tokio::runtime::Runtime::block_on
   9: hc::main
  10: std::sys_common::backtrace::__rust_begin_short_backtrace
  11: std::rt::lang_start::{{closure}}
  12: std::rt::lang_start_internal
  13: main
  14: __libc_start_main
  15: _start

Caused by:
    ffs::IoError at path '/home/lucas/holochain/tuts/cc_tuts/./path/to/my/dnabundle.dna': No such file or directory (os error 2)
    backtrace:
       0: holochain_util::ffs::io_error::IoError::new
       1: <core::future::from_generator::GenFuture<T> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
       2: <futures_util::future::maybe_done::MaybeDone<Fut> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
       3: <futures_util::future::join_all::JoinAll<F> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
       4: holochain_cli_bundle::cli::HcAppBundle::run::{{closure}}
       5: <core::future::from_generator::GenFuture<T> as core::future::future::Future>::poll
       6: tokio::park::thread::CachedParkThread::block_on
       7: tokio::runtime::thread_pool::ThreadPool::block_on
       8: tokio::runtime::Runtime::block_on
       9: hc::main
      10: std::sys_common::backtrace::__rust_begin_short_backtrace
      11: std::rt::lang_start::{{closure}}
      12: std::rt::lang_start_internal
      13: main
      14: __libc_start_main
      15: _start

Is there an expected date for updated tutorials? Failures to compile and instructions in the old hc-cli are becoming an insurmountable obstacle.

Mmm have you read the instructions of GitHub - holochain/holochain-dna-build-tutorial: Tutorial on how to build hApp DNAs for Holochain RSM? If you look at the generated app.yaml, it’s hoping to find a bundled .dna file that you have to pack before.

But you are right to point to this, there has been talk about a guidebook.

I will check it out, thanks. I believe that part of the issue is resource maintenance. There are so many conflicting, outdated, non-functioning resources still available that newcomers such as myself get lost and confused in.

They should all be removed, leaving only uniform, up to date information with multiple access points. For example, links to GitHub containing what I assume is accurate information, like the one you just provided, aren’t pointed to by the Holochain site / tutorials.

1 Like

Good point, ping @pauldaoust

I am working to plan out a “documentation drive” to improve the holochain developer documentation, your comments will help guide the process, so thankyou! The one resource that Guillem linked to is in fact on the site, but it’s hard to know what it is before you click on it
https://developer.holochain.org/resources/
it’s the “DNA build tutorial”.

1 Like

That link you both mentioned was very helpful, thanks. Is there a CLI tool to create the directory structure for you (workdir, tests, zomes, default.nix, Cargo.toml)?

@ guillemcordoba @ Connoropolous (I don’t have permission to @ yet)

:stuck_out_tongue: Yes, it’s git clone git@github.com:holochain/holochain-dna-build-tutorial.git

then like… delete .git folder if you want a clean start with git version control.
There’s not much fluff in the repo that you wouldn’t want.

1 Like