Cannot install holochain on Linux

Hi, I’m getting started with the installation process for Linux. After the process failed on my Mac, I think due to incompatibilities between some rust libraries and ARM architecture, I spun up an EC2 instance running Amazon Linux to try a fresh installation there. I’m able to install NixOS. When I install Holochain however, I get the following error consistently.

error: could not compile cranelift-codegen

Caused by:
process didn’t exit successfully: rustc --crate-name cranelift_codegen --edition=2018 /build/holochain-vendor.tar.gz/cranelift-codegen/src/lib.rs --error-format=json --json=diagnostic-rendered-ansi,artifacts --crate-type lib --emit=dep-info,metadata,link -C opt-level=3 -C embed-bitcode=no --cfg 'feature="arm64"' --cfg 'feature="gimli"' --cfg 'feature="std"' --cfg 'feature="unwind"' --cfg 'feature="x86"' -C metadata=13b469b344f08bae -C extra-filename=-13b469b344f08bae --out-dir /build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps --target x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu -C linker=/nix/store/88ghxafjpqp5sqpd75r51qqg4q5d95ss-gcc-wrapper-10.3.0/bin/cc -L dependency=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps -L dependency=/build/source/target/release/deps --extern cranelift_bforest=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libcranelift_bforest-b5e3f7b4e2b8d590.rmeta --extern cranelift_codegen_shared=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libcranelift_codegen_shared-6473a8b7b8c2f158.rmeta --extern cranelift_entity=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libcranelift_entity-ae254530da79ceda.rmeta --extern gimli=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libgimli-79429a511e1a450f.rmeta --extern log=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/liblog-7d6e2dc6bf8af126.rmeta --extern regalloc=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libregalloc-5f7f842308e61674.rmeta --extern smallvec=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libsmallvec-93a10ba89f62bc4b.rmeta --extern target_lexicon=/build/source/target/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps/libtarget_lexicon-9fa867bf1e271bfb.rmeta --cap-lints allow (signal: 9, SIGKILL: kill)
builder for ‘/nix/store/5hxb52bfikbb6iv5k7dg7ymnnmrhz7kl-holochain.drv’ failed with exit code 101
error: build of ‘/nix/store/5hxb52bfikbb6iv5k7dg7ymnnmrhz7kl-holochain.drv’, ‘/nix/store/akcqbcxy2r3s6xnv6qfi3xgjrcbfbb99-holochain.drv’, ‘/nix/store/x1nqmfhdaqdi8382vmixmqgvf68iiv4d-holochain.drv’, ‘/nix/store/yz2mgpgsw6fd2npkrf6q9dlqq7sqrcl3-holochain.drv’ failed

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue and has solved it.

Just to cover all bases. You tried bashing
$ nix-shell https://nightly.holochain.love

Also, there is a holochain launcher being released as an .appImage at:

If you’re downloading the Holochain git repository and trying to cargo build, probably not practical :sweat_smile:
Hopefully you didn’t know all this already. :confused:

mmm or even use nix-shell directly from the holochain repo

it does depend a bit on what you’re trying to achieve, do you want to use holochain as an end-user of happs, to develop happs, or you want to work on holochain itself to see what’s under the hood?

Just wanted to provide another update: everything is working perfectly now! I was able to install the nix-shell, holochain and start up a sample application generated using the RAD tools. Not sure what exactly solved the issue but I’m guessing it’s all the hard work everyone’s been putting into improving the installation process.

If someone else stumbles onto this thread I’ll just mention my specs: I’m on an 1st gen M1 Macbook Air running MacOS Big Sur.

1 Like