Art**

Woooow! Thank you for the awesome resources!! Looks like I have some homework :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. If you want to join the Future Ainā€™t what it Used to Be, do so now! It starts in 1 week and we had to close the AIPAC-friendly time because there werenā€™t enough registrants. Please reach out to me directly if you canā€™t find a time that works for you. I am not sure we will run it a third time, so if you are interested, now is the time. The workshop is not recorded because itā€™s interactive.

2 Likes

Hey everyjone!

A more pragmatic question about Art and Open Source in general, and eventually Art and HoloChain too.

• given that it is not the same open sourcing a piece of software (that can be art itself by the way) and a more traditional form of art, like graphics (paintings), sculptures, musicā€¦
  • and given that some form of arts contain the source inside themselvesā€¦ but at the same time they can need a code to fully understand and accessedā€¦

did any of you thought, or are there somewhere some ideas, about how to open source art, and eventually how to make it exist and possibly prosper inside the HoloChain echosystem? Talking about music (being musician myself I fosuc there now), all what I saw is open source apps or websites to listen to free music, but it is off course not the same, and the misconception of free and open source is common too.

I got an idea about a piece of music and I wrote it yesterday. I did not formally compose anything in many years, probably because of luck of inspiration and motivation, but it seems this project gave me back some creative juiceā€¦ That makes me really happy, and I would off course be happy to share it, I just wonder in fact what could be the best way.

For a musical composition in particular, I thought open sourcing it could translate into providing the thoughts and the meaning behind the composition itself. In the baroque and classic eras it was very common to ā€œinfuseā€ some geometry, figures, shapes, inside the music itself (as well as other forms of art), with precise meanings. What I did is not dissimilar, even if with modern language.

I basically thought about creating a donut-like thing. The listener (agent) will get 2 musical lines played by 2 different instruments, starting at the front, at the level of the head. They will spin, spiraling around with a slight time-shift (forming a double coil, or in fact a toroid, thus a closed-loop DNA-like thingy). This will procede in 3D all the way around, first going down on the left side, passing behind, up again to the top right and back to the starting point. This is the representation of the 2 membranes the holo is made of, one interfacing with the ā€œagentā€ (listener) and the other interfacing with the external world (universe). Under all this, a very low frequency drone-like sound pattern (drone meaning sound-pad) will follow along, accompaning the spiral exactly as the universal energy pervades everythhing. A choir from far away, slowly orbiting around at the same speed as the 2 forming lines, represents the other agents, the entities in dialog.

This is the source and the concept, I could post the audio file somewhere if it gives interest, and I would be off course very happy to get some thoughts and feedback about the whole idea.

Cheers and all the best
Dario

3 Likes

Hey @GraceR, thank you for the invite. The course sounds amazing, I unfortunately donā€™t have the bandwith for it right now in both the literal and metaphorical sense. Iā€™ll definitely stay tuned with the upcoming developments at DAO :pray:

Wow, Dario! What a beautiful concept, this is sending my mind into some interesting bends. Iā€™d love to check out the audio.

So far I have greatly appreciated the Creative Commons of stock photography and pieces of graphic art. An icon bank called The Noun Project has been particularly helpful, speeding up the design process by saving the time and effort of designing the same icons over and over. Itā€™s nice also to take pieces of different graphics and combine them in new ways or blending them into something totally different. Another great artistic, open-source project is The League of Movable Type, they are an open font foundry that also shares lessons and articles. Their quality is fantastic.

There are also banks of Photoshop brushes, textures, tricks, mock-ups and lessons; some of these now sold into bundles, but many still freely shared. Sometimes it is challenging to find them and they are scrambled all over the internet, so I could see these graphic banks prosper in Holochain if they are well organized and perhaps compensating creators in some form with a digital ā€˜current-seeā€™.

I had never thought about open source it in terms of music, but I love the idea of getting the background insight into what inspired the piece. A great look into what goes on through the creatorā€™s heart and mind through the creation process. One of my favorite podcasts for a while was Songexploder, where an artist breaks down a song, how they created it, layered the sounds on it, etc. I remember enjoying very much this episode.

Perhaps a way of ā€˜open-sourcingā€™ music would be to make a ā€˜sound bankā€™ of sorts? Just an idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @MonaP,
it is always inspiring and encouraging to get some feedback and reactions!

Open Sourcing music has been aproached before in terms of software, both as open source composition tools and algorithms, thus having a machine instructed in a certain way and then ā€œcomposingā€ music following those (eventually open sourced) instructions.

But what I am trying to go for, is a rather ā€œhumanā€ way, still opening up the ā€œconpositional momentā€ for others to join and experiment, but still with a human element in it.

I like technology and I like when it can be used to assist, help, even expandā€¦ when it takes over though, I set some questions, and this is absolutely not limited to music off course.

A course/raw version of my ā€œHoloā€ soundtrack is available here.
(requires good headphones/listening conditions).

Looking forward to more thoughts! :wink:

Dario

2 Likes

I listened to the track after a workout this morning (With my unfortunately mediocre yet only headphones) and it felt like bubbly champagne. Very dreamy!

I agree on your previous statement, there is something highly disturbing about machine-generated compositions, visual or auditory. Seems to defeat the purpose of the creative process, which, I am starting to discover, is not necessarily the product itself, but the ā€œjourneyā€ the creator has to take In order to produce. maybe Iā€™m going too deep into the aesthetic philosophy weedsā€¦

At any rate, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve liked so far about the graphics hubs- they really do spark further hand-made creations and let is build upon what already exists, providing richer palettes to play with

No @MonaP, not only you are not going too deep, I think you got in fact my point! The ā€œcreative journeyā€ (or momentum, or process) is exactly what I was trying to go for, when thinking about the possibility to open source music at all!

It could be similar if one wanted to open source a poemā€¦ anyone can formally disassemble it, it is made of letters, common intellectual property of anyone so farā€¦ but why to use certain words in a certain order, why certain words instead of other possible ones, thatā€™s where you can make the difference, and thatā€™s where -open sourcing it- you can share that process.

Back to the msuicā€¦ yes, among the rest it has a sinusoid rappresented by the musical lines, and each line is made by many elements, so comparing those elements to bubbles is in fact very matching. :wink: Thanks for that!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: that makes perfect sense now.

It makes me think how we are conditioned to see art just like everything else in our materialistic world, focusing on the product while the creative process (or supply chain) remains invisible.

I like your idea of accompanying the composition with a description of the creative process to make it visible and valued.

@polyannie01 have you seen this yet?

2 Likes

Hey @bierlingm!
Not entirely sure if I get (and like) the point of connecting trading and speculation with art this way. Off course going blockchain (here) rather than old school can bring some new possibilities. What are your thoughts? As an artist myself I should maybe learn that the value of what I do can fit into this kind of platform.

1 Like

I recommend reading this interview with Addie Wagenknecht, a featured creator on the platform.

I think she answers some of your questions well.

The blog goes into detail on those too.

1 Like

Hi @Aryabhatta. I could eventually share a pictureand Iā€™ve been busy with other things right now. Short story; an artist shared on twitter that they were making a large Holo wall hanging. When someone asked what they were going to do with it the answer was: ā€œI hope to sell it to raise money to buy a HoloPort.ā€

I invested in 3 HoloPorts during the IndiGoGo campaign with the idea that I might donate one to a worthy cause. I knew immediately that I would offer the HoloPort in exchange for the Artwork. So now I have a one of a kind Holo art piece, and a very happy artist is a member of the Holo[ port | chain ] community.

4 Likes

@polyannie01 I am huge fan/advocate of the arts. also a promoter of global peace and unity consciousness.

I would like to see/create/help build software and tools which empower individual artists

2 Likes