Holochain and the Metaverse - what are the possibilities?

Hi Guys,

What are people’s thoughts about building on the metaverse with Holochain?

I have a potential client looking to build a game on the metaverse and I have been sharing about Holochain. However, we do not have developers who have worked on Holochain and would like to start connecting with people who are.

If you are a developer, I would like to connect with you and start talking about different upcoming projects that our organization has in our sales pipeline.

Thanks,

Andrew

5 Likes

Good question

Metaverses! that are in relationship to physicality would be great to see. Neighborhoods.network might be a fitting soil for that. Some sort of interconnected spaces model like what janusvr.com has been working on would be super rad. Would love to see that ability to move between different spaces with local flavour …

2 Likes

Yes, interoperability is one of the main keys to the metaverse and Holochain seems to have the answer to this.

1 Like

Hi!

I’ve some knowledge on game programming, of game engines, AND Holochain. I was personally working on a little 3D Mind Mapping Happ (that is, until I came across Thortspace and fell in love with it immediately; I hope my progress on this plugin doesn’t at least go to waste). I occasionally do follow StarCitizen’s technical progress, but for the most part, I believe it’s Epic’s work that’s gonna become the foundation for developing Metaverse-compatible applications. As for Holochain, I don’t think it can contribute in any significant way to the development of the Metaverse (apart from maybe becoming the de-facto NFT platform for pretty much everything, not just Metaverse-related application needs). I did once extensively wonder whether Holochain could potentially be use-worthy to replace the existing client-server model that games today run on (where the authoritative server’s hardware capacity puts an upper limit on the number of concurrent players/users). What gaming needs is a horizontal-scaling revolution. Distributed gaming is already possible; a game engine that uses Holochain for the network layer should be able to distribute the persistent game-state peer-to-peer (rather than having to call an RPC that gets executed on the authoritative server that broadcasts the updated state back to the players) and have peers be cross-validated to prevent cheating. But I’m afraid the companies building the Metaverse will simply create their own custom (and hence more specifically targetted and therefore optimized) framework for doing all of this. By the way, Metaverse isn’t even about MMOs; put simply, it’s about “being able to hold another player’s hand in one game and jump into another game/world/experience almost instantaneously while also having your avatar, etc, preserved in the transit”.

2 Likes

Does anyone agree with the The-A-Man

We are building a metaverse game right now and would like to build it on Holochain.

Thoughts?

Hey guys,

I only just saw this so sorry for late reply, as I am sure most of you aware we are building our project Our World (Geo-location AR game similar to Pokemon Go to get kids & people back out into nature doing real world treasure hunts etc in nature) & One World (MMORPG Open World similar to MineCraft/WOW/2ndLife etc) on Holochain (as part of the OASIS API). The OASIS API integrates all of Web2 (databases, clouds, etc) and Web3 (blockchains, holochain, IPFS, etc) tech to form Web4. It provides a migration path from all Web2 and Blockchain tech to Holochain and so much more… :wink:

We have been working on all this since 2013 so it has been a very long jounrey! :slight_smile:

The worlds first unity and .net client (HoloNET) was created back in 2019:

It was featured on Dev Pulse 44 here:

But we are now need help resolving the last issue with the RSM version:

Any help would be REALLY appreciated thanks. If anyone can crack this we will gift £3000+ worth of OLAND NFTs and earn 7777 karma points and tokens plus maybe more… please share around… thanks :pray:If anyone can crack this we will gift £3000+ worth of OLAND NFTs and earn 7777 karma points and tokens plus maybe more… please share around… thanks :pray:

https://opensea.io/collection/theoasisandourworld

This is urgent and a top priority now, because we can then complete the HOLOOASIS provider meaning we can bridge holochain to all web2 (dbs, clouds, etc) and web3 blockchains etc giving a easy migration path to holochain.

It also allows the STAR Omniverse Low Code Generator to dynamically generate rust and c# code allowing people to focus on their idea rather than the lower level implementations and allow them to build metaverse experiences on top of holochain.

Read more here:

This is urgent and a top priority now, because we can then complete the HOLOOASIS provider meaning we can bridge holochain to all web2 (dbs, clouds, etc) and web3 blockchains etc giving a easy migration path to holochain.

It also allows the WEB5 STAR Omniverse Low Code Generator (we are very close to doing a demo of this also) to dynamically generate rust and c# code allowing people to focus on their idea rather than the lower level implementations and allow them to build metaverse experiences on top of holochain.

We released the first production version of the OASIS API this in May and the altha back in Oct 2020:

We also recently just did a demo of the SSO Avatar/Karma API here:

We plan to use signals to give us real time performance for unlimited players or as close as we can get! :wink:

We are about to release the Unity OASIS API Asset to the Unity Asset Store.

We just need to get this HoloNET RSM issue sorted so we can move forward with this… thanks. :slight_smile:

Read more on the project here:

Many thanks,
David.