Vril: The Ultimate Currency Project

It isn’t a libertarian protocol though. It does fullfill the criteria of the ideology libertarianism, but so do most P2P systems.

Libertarianism as an ideology, or counter-ideology really to the dominant ideologies, is organized around ideals that I think will dominate the next paradigm (Ethereum and similar technologies moving towards that), but, the reason those ideals are not dominant at the moment is probably not because people do not ascribe to them faithfully, but rather that the human condition and all that has not managed to scale to those ideals as lowest common denominators.

I initially was under the impression that any wealth-redistribution system required centralized control of power and autonomy; in fact that’s why I discarded your solution at the first sight when you first published it’s link on this forum. However, I was quite surprised to discover that the opposite was indeed possible, that Resilience indeed doesn’t require any power-hierarchies, that this noble objective can be achieved in a distributed fashion, which for me at least, was quite an astounding realization.

1 Like

I agree. I think it is because I have heritage from northern Sweden. They were never much for trusting centralized control. I think a lot of it came from my grandpa Tord who died a few years ago, I always saw him as the opposite of a bully. So the only system I could accept then in 2012 was one where no central point was given any control they could exploit. So as I ruled out all other possibilities for wealth redistribution I managed to discover an actually voluntary one. But since then, over the past few years, I think that voluntary wealth redistribution can also be possible in more conventional ways, with Online Pseudonym Parties for example providing voluntary and even anonymous proof-of-unique-human, an opt-in coin that is redistributed to all proof-of-unique-human holders could become popular by basic market principles, I think. Will see. I like Resilience more anyway.

1 Like

I am using the word “backed” as “able to be redeemed for.”

Fiat currency is not able to be redeemed for authority. Gold is not redeemed for fear. Bitcoin is not able to be redeemed for anything.

Keep in mind that redemption is not the same as SPENDING… You may be ale to buy things with a currency, and the units continue to circulate, but when you redeem a unit of currency it goes out of existence. It is a different stage in the life cycle of currency unit just like ISSUANCE is a different stage.

Issuance is where units come into existence. Redemption is where they go out of existence.

I do not agree that currencies are a promissory note. That is one possible way to implement them which is consistent with your thinking around credit clearing as currency. So, yes, I get that is embedded in your assumptions and design of Vril.

I’m saying that not all currency works that way, and it is useful to make the assumptions built in to different currencies visible, without pretending they are all the same thing.

In fact, I believe the power in currency design comes from being able to make them truly different to succeed in filling different niches and needs.

2 Likes

I’m glad you found beyondmoney.net useful. Tom Greco and Michael Linton (@mwl) have argued at many events and for many years over the “right” way to do these sort of things.

But I’d like to propose a twist. I’m not sure if you know about REA Accounting. REA stands for Resource-Event-Agent where Agents can agree on an economic Event which records the movement Resources. It is an ISO accepted accounting standard which is an alternative to double-entry accounting.

Double-entry accounting only works within the walls of a single organization, but REA Accounting is cross-organizational supply chain accounting.

The project Holo-REA (largely coded by @pospi) implements REA Accounting on Holochain. Technically, this enables any business to use their existing units of account (like Anton’s loaves of bread) as a Resource flow, essentially enabling exactly the kind of “marketplace currency” described in the video without needing to introduce anything else (i.e. silver, vrils, resils, etc.)

When you record a Holo-REA transaction, it can function as the currency, the transaction, the legally compliant accounting record, and an immutable, auditable ledger record.

Maybe we already have what you’re looking for?

5 Likes

@resilience-me said: @The-A-Man suggested with this post that Holo-Fuel was dead since it is ideally replaced by multi-hop mutual credit system. This was labelled as an attack on Holochain.

In the highly volatile cryptocurrency world, people zero in on dramatic titles like “HoloFuel is dead” and spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) which is probably what had @pqcdev feel like it was an attack on Holochain.

It is also fundamentally wrong.

The creation of a multi-hop mutual credit cannot replace HoloFuel because HoloFuel is a private currency which powers the Holo hosting network accounting for CPU usage, bandwidth, and storage being used by hosts, and we would not adopt any currency not specifically optimized for our use case when we’ve built one that is.

Not only that, but we’ve already been supporting Holo-REA which solves same problem and it doesn’t replace HoloFuel either.

I don’t believe there is a perfect currency which will replace all others any more than there’s a perfect “blood” for living organisms. Tree sap is optimized to fill a different niche than human blood. Water and air serve that circulatory role between bioregions.

A currency that doesn’t solve the specific problem HoloFuel solves well, cannot effectively replace it. So the dramatic title was click-bait which could have negative consequences for Holo and Holochain even if it was for a project meant in earnest to solve a different set of problems.

Just to be clear, we are not saying HoloFuel is the one and only currency to solve all problems with Holochain. It has to do it’s job well, and people will use it for a number of value flows in neighborhood of where it works well.

Other currencies will emerge optimized for speculation, or energy, or food, or housing. In fact we’re supporting a bunch of those projects too (with no fear that they mean HoloFuel is dead, because they’re optimized to fill their specific niches).

We are not trying to build “one ring to rule them all” in the form a global king cryptocurrency. We’re building an ecosystem which enables many to play well together.

6 Likes

Looks like we had some misunderstanding…

What that meant was that if you take away the power/authority of the state, fiat vanishes; take away man’s inherent need for faith (or the urge to fear), and Gold vanishes (the value of Gold/BTC; obviously not the metal itself); take away (or destroy) the asset, and the token that tokenized it becomes useless; take away the possibility of the borrower ever repaying the loan in the future, and it gets defaulted; and so on… Not in the sense of being redeemed per se.

Yeah, maybe… Maybe not all currencies are promissory notes… But if you think about it, even Gold is but an accounting system that instead of using pen and paper, uses metal-bars and vaults that solves some of the problems of pen/paper in that it makes counterfeiting harder; and like all currencies, it’s backed by a promissory note that says “Sit on it and hope for the best! And (perhaps) one day you’ll get the return for your investment”.

Don’t mind my stubbornness, but truth be told I yet have to find any currency that works any other way.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In fact, that statement is like saying “All human beings are different, so stop trying to develop one vaccine for them all!”.

Let’s take Holo-fuel’s example and see if it really is that different and unique as it would like to pretend.
Holo-fuel is a private-currency that gets issued by the hosts (correct me if I’m wrong) upon need given that their credit-worthiness (for the amount that they wish to go -ve into) has been assessed by the Holo Organization. The newly issued units get sold on the Holo Reserve (and can even be bought from third-party exchanges), which gets redeemed for hosting power; upon redemption of which, the Holo-fuel units effectively get burned.

It is no different than every other private currency on Vril; any special preconditions for the issuance and annihilation of Holo-Vril can be enforced by the logic in its contract, i.e., the Holo-Vril contract (h)app may require hosts (as agents in the contract h-app) to collectively decide some aspect of the currency (or even the credit-worthiness of newcomer hosts), or it may require a special-profile agent (the Holo Organization) to do so on their behalf. The fundamental invariant stays the same: that it’s a unit of exchange created solely to facilitate trade. Nothing special, you see…

Indeed, one thing is different with Holo-fuel (and the likes that you’re emphasizing here), that being the transaction-fee. It is true that Vril cannot facilitate such use-cases. But also note that you cannot call it a trade-facilitating currency if such use-cases are built into it; rather such a thing/system should be called a phantom private spider-web whose primary purpose is to ensnare fools into thinking it’s a currency!
Don’t get me wrong! I’m all in for capitalizing on expertise. What I’m saying is that there are better ways to do so… On Vril, for example, you could restructure the design such that it (Holo-Vril) gets issued on Holo Organization’s private Vril-contract (h)app, and gets sold to the general public with a commission (be it 1% or 10%) and gets collected back by Holo’s great many hosts in return for hosting-power, for which they get the base money back (the 99% or 90% of the original sale of Vril, in the case of a 1% or 10% commission respectively).
That would be the only truthful, honest and sincere implementation of the private-currency that Holo-fuel is.

Yeah, I did visit https://valueflo.ws/introduction/concepts.html a gazillion times before, but have never really been able to decode the esoteric (and may I say “cult-like”) terminology that it uses… Would love it if someone (or perhaps @pospi himself) can briefly explain it…

My current understanding is that REA (especially Holo-REA) links, connects and automates the great many parts of a business operation, or in other words, with REA, businesses can identify their internal-business-cycles and automate/connect/route/intertwine them such that it ends up doing away with the traditional drudgerous accounting systems (ERP and the likes). [Correct me if I’m wrong, though… I’ve no idea what the heck this ERP thing is, nor am I a qualified economist (never understood the demand-supply curves; so sad…)]

Vril is, in REA’s terms, a resource (just like other resources such as cash-equivalents, inventories, etc); REA on the other hand is not a resource, but is a protocol/methodology to link and interwove resources with their respective events and agents. In fact, REA principles can be used to make Vril contracts truly automated and autonomous. [Coming soon: “Vril Contracts, Best Practices; inspired by Holo-REA”]

Yet you use the word “currency” which itself has its definitive and well-established meaning (unlike money)…

Vril isn’t about replacing all currencies, it’s about explicitly establishing those set of rules that all currencies adhere to, and those requirements that all currencies naturally meet; nothing more. It’s like an interface that all currencies naturally implement by the very definition of being a currency. One might ask why on earth do we need to extract away this commonality as an interface (as in the OOP terminology) when REA style connections can suffice, and the answer is the same as for why we abstract away interfaces (or abstract classes) in the programming world: it speeds things up, makes the system more efficient and most-importantly makes it explicit what was once implicit and taken for granted. I believe every old-age-programmer (from the older OOP age) should be able to comprehend (and sympathize with) the motivation behind doing things the Vril way… Try to design the world (i.e., the world economy, with its great many everyday transactions, its multitude of businesses, its value-flows) on paper/pen with REA and one would quickly realize what I’m talking about…

Hah! That’s fair comment- anything that attempts to create new language (whether formal or informal) is bound to develop at least some cult-like traits over time. Especially in this case, where the grammar ends up constructing sentences (and so thought patterns) that the end-user sees. Fanaticism in this community also sets a tone and I think we should be skeptical of seeing REA (or anything else) as a panacea for all things economically-inclined. Diversity of expressive capacity will have subtle effects on our human interactions within these networks; other models may be better for achieving certain outcomes. (FWIW this is already visible to me in contrasting Hylo’s community exchange model with what an REA-based marketplace looks like, can share more if interested.)

Your understanding of what REA implementations do is pretty spot on. The first generation of software Holo-REA has evolved from was called NRP, for “Network Resource Planner”, a riff on “Enterprise Resource Planner”. I think those two names are nearly enough to say all that needs saying, except that ERP systems today are the internal “accounting” tools that big enterprises use to coordinate resources. (I quote “accounting” because it’s less like what consumers ordinarily think about as accounting and more like “accounting for where things are” in the sense of being able to manage efficiently sharing resources between different departments and facilities involved in the manufacture of something.)

They are also horribly ugly and clunky as most things in big business tend to be, so we think that the nimble OSS tools being developed around the VF protocol should have some appeal to business-as-usual too. Which is to be celebrated- this just aids in additional data to add accountability and oversight towards rapid transformation of our economic practises. Seeing what’s really going on, rather than just the movements of money, is one prerequisite step in achieving such outcomes.

Try to design the world (i.e., the world economy, with its great many everyday transactions, its multitude of businesses, its value-flows) on paper/pen with REA and one would quickly realize what I’m talking about…

I’ve been through such a process once, and it’s the kind of thing that yes, can be fun to a point but as soon as you hit something like “fertilizer” the supply chains explode outward and you suddenly need a wealth of industry-specific knowledge to proceed. I think the point that VF hopes to make is that attempting such an analysis or planning a process for things to follow is a futile exercise… I have heard @bhaugen say something like “every production plan is out of date by the time it’s created”, which I find to be true. The solution, as you seem to be saying, should be to design an abstract model which can adapt and evolve as conditions change without losing its informational integrity- something which I find ValueFlows does quite well in the relationships between EconomicEvent, Commitment and Intent.

But I’m not sure whether you are perhaps hinting at more here, such as the “ontology comprehension problem” which we propose the ontology and registry modules as possible solutions for.

It’s also true, and not a bad thing, that having more abstract models in the mix means that there are more ontologies to support. A bridge between Vril and REA sounds sensible, and at first glance easy (if we are on the same page as to our definitions of “currency”). But it’s likely to be an intersecting venn of partial completion on both sides: Vril not caring about “non-currency” aspects of REA, REA not caring about currency-related modeling such as conversion rates. Ideally we can build some adapter DNAs that can be installed into running systems on both sides, so that any Vril network can expose REA data for interoperability and vice-versa.

Really looking forward to seeing what you implement for the Vril Contracts :slight_smile: There is a need for more formal definitions around such higher-order operations, especially those that manage interactions with potential legal responsibilities.

3 Likes

Glad to say I’m on par with all you described; nothing to contradict, thankfully!

However, one thing I’d like to ask (and it’s kind-of off-topic, but I’ve always been intrigued by it since discovering Holochain; and since everyone here in the community has been so helpful in leading me to sources of knowledge expansion, sources I didn’t know of prior to coming here, it might be that I’m missing something regarding this doubt too, which I’ve always been very hesitant to ask away) is that what on earth does any of it have to do with climate-change? I mean, I was once scrolling through the “introduce yourself” feed, and everyone there (to my amusement) was like “I love Holochain because… because… climate change!”. I don’t get it! What’s the correlation between global-warming and Holochain?

As far as I understand, capitalism is a double-edged sword. The invisible hand can pat you on the back, or spank you; both are equal possibilities. Capitalism embraces that which it succeeds to privatize and strangles that which it fails to (the public air, for instance). Don’t get me wrong, but I think Holo-REA might be fuelling this propaganda (haha). I mean, there’s no way any of what we people do here can save the environment, now is there? We might be giving people false expectations by pretending to have found a solution…

It’s just the tragedy of the commons; only private-property (and privatized air) has any viable future. Or am I missing something? As far as I know, there isn’t any conceivable way to get businesses (and individuals) to “account” for all the hidden costs that they impose on their customers (and even non-customers)… The fundamental problem isn’t in “accounting” for those costs (thereby being out of REA’s domain); the fundamental problem is economic in nature: it will always cost you less to buy a product from the black market, one that was produced with child-labor and harmed the environment in the process than any other equivalent-quality product with a “good” background; and as far as I know, there’s no getting around this problem, is there?

And another side note: Has Holo-REA began development for RSM (as I couldn’t find it on the public GitHub space)?

Probably not. @pqcdev was part of the thread that led to @The-A-Man discovering multi-hop mutual credit, and later posting their larger vision based on it.

Not a very neutral statement.

@The-A-Man likely pointed out that the token Holochain used to crowdfund itself is associated with dominat ideas for how to make payments over the platform. I think there is a term for claims of neutrality and offloading actual stance onto a side thing but that side thing somehow manages to dominate the main thing, pretty common memetically.

Well water though?

Not a very neutral stance though as it claims supremacy on deciding what problems currencies solve.

You pretty much did though in the previous sentence.

A bit like apples and oranges. The “one ring to rule them all” concept applies to majority consensus based platforms. In those cases the platform immutability tends to rely on majority, and the result is “one platform to rule them all”, or none at all. My Online Pseudonym Parties that was mentioned which is why I was on the thread that led to this thread, is by definition “one to rule them all” or useless. Resilience though, or Ripple, are not, and Holochain type ledgers are not either (from my understanding of Holochain. )

1 Like

May I temper that a hair? It’s still good to plan. I know people who tell me that planning is not necessary. They have never been farmers. Just be adaptable, the weather may not meet your expectations.

4 Likes

Started digging around to learn as much as I can about this corner of the world (accounting, business-operations, resource-management and planning, REA, its predecessors, entry-databases and bookkeeping, etc; in short, all things pospi)… Looks like it would take me at least a week to cover everything there is on these subjects… The code seems outdated, however, the design rationale and principles still hold true, so that’s a plus point.

Had a few things to ask… [can’t control my curiosity]

From https://github.com/holo-rea/ecosystem/wiki/System-design-rationale,

Holochain’s architecture does not allow agent keys that are under the control of multiple entities. An agent key corresponds to a single device; that device is always a single point of failure.

• As such, any “group agent” abstractions created for Holochain apps need to be implement as just that - abstractions.

So that’s what a Vril-contract is! Hadn’t known that up till now (¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Anyway, what were the alternatives that you explored for what you call “group agents”? Would love to hear more on this (in human-readable language, if possible; haha).

From another source (everything is so dispersed):

Flows currently considered “externalities” should be able to be internalized in the model.

But how? I would really appreciate it if you could give an example…

EDIT: While hunting for an answer on @artbrock’s personal website, this is what I found:

Understanding that negative externalities from today’s business practices have erosive effects on our communities, our health and our environment, people have proposed Triple-Bottom-Line (TBL) accounting to help keep these externalities in check. … If we build these additional feedback loops into the cost of money for a business, then they quickly have financial reasons to reverse negative externalities and actually create positive ones.

Is it all just random fantasizing (“people are good at heart”, “reputations cure amputations”, “community builds immunity” and all that rubbish), or does any of it actually mean business? 'Cause having found a solution for this fundamental problem of the commons (and by solution I mean a real solution, not a clown) is like saying the earth is flat (or that my brain is, whichever is more unlikely).

:heart: :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

@The-A-Man ok, this is a fun thread (: But let’s temper statements like “all things pospi” please- I am not important, I’m just one collaborator among a network of folks in this space and the work started at least 5 years before I was even born. I find it best not to attach names and personalities to ideas and movements… cults of personality can be hard to keep at bay and ultimately cause social problems and megalomania; forces I am as susceptible to as any human.

Ok, now that that’s out of the way…

Holo-REA on RSM

RSM conversion work is in progress, and has been an interesting dance with core in pursuit of my desired level of abstraction / modularity. I think the last blockers on that were removed today thanks to conversation with @thedavidmeister (but I’ve been wrong before :P)

Group Agents

There’s been a bit of work on group agents. Perhaps obvious, but they’re pretty intertwined with role-based authentication schemes. I put together a bit of a spec for what the APIs may look like. Note the need for something like @guillemcordoba’s Compository to generate permutations of these modules with different behaviours (eg. unauthenticated vs “vouch-based access” vs administrator-based auth).

As to the pieces, I did up a very simple agent registration module, which felt like the foundational feature to base other elements on. Start with an ability to query “which agents are in this network?” and go from there. Not upgraded to RSM yet. Worth noting that Guillem’s Social Triangulation module has nothing to do with agent registration, but was already implemented, and trivial to compose together to get a module which does “which agents are in this network?” + “who is allowed to join this network?”. There is also a membrane roles module created by Guillem that implements role-based access control, and is quite similar to the ValueFlows agent model with the exception of bidirectional labels for the roles. I think one can see how you could combine these together to get a Holochain DNA which functions as a “group context” within which certain agents have certain roles. That’s about all we want those modules to do for our purposes, I think. It would be auxilliary modules which query that DNA in order to perform access checks before executing other operations.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that the ValueFlows agent model has never been a limiting factor in any project, and probably because the model is the sort of thing that tries not to impose a design. Really it’s just an abstract layer that lets you describe any arbitrary relationship between any agents… the meaning and context of those relationships is up to each application to decide.

God, I hope all that made some sense :stuck_out_tongue:

Climate Change and All Our Relationships

(NB: I took this title from a very excellent presentation on the socio-political complexity of these topics which is very worth a watch.)

It’s really nice to see someone calling these perspectives out and asking for more depth <3 I don’t disagree that techno-utopian mindsets have found their way into this space (I say that having come from Blockchain), and there have been occasional accusations of spiritual bypassing and the like in this community which I think are substantiative and should be given due reflection and consideration. Tech is not going to save us.

So let’s see if we can get past the assumptions and mental leaps with this stuff. Does it mean business? heh

There’s actually a fairly detailed presentation that goes through the climate change context specifically- Michel Bawens, @lynnfoster, @TiberiusB and myself presented our work at various levels from the theoretical down to implementation. You can watch it here if you’re interested in the detail, and the deck on Holo-REA specifically can be found here.

there isn’t any conceivable way to get businesses (and individuals) to “account” for all the hidden costs that they impose on their customers

100%. The crux of the promise for me lies on slide 6: fractally composable networks. There’s no reason that REA networks would tell the truth or make their externalities visible to others- as a framework, it’s ideologically inert and you can model oppressive capitalist patterns in REA as surely as you can model regenerative ones. But you can’t stop other organisations spinning up their own networks. I see a future in which watchdogs and environmental organisations manage their own observation data as overlays on top of corporate supply chains, adding external accountability when internal accountability falls short. Only takes 1 click to deploy them.

it will always cost you less to buy a product from the black market, one that was produced with child-labor and harmed the environment in the process than any other equivalent-quality product with a “good” background

I think those are just artifacts of our current economic system. You’re probably right - if you define “cost” as a monetary one - because of all the perverse inequities, levies, investments, scaling effects and so on which go in to arriving at that “cost”. I’d like to see humankind thinking about “cost” differently with some Buycott-like practises driving our economic decisions, rather than them being primarily monetary decisions. In large part this is all just about providing better information to apps such as these. I do have a lot of thoughts about that, but they were pre-Sacred Capital and these days you will see me talking about utilitarian values hiding in those designs, even if they still basically make sense.

There’s also rising consumer pressure for ethical consumption, and I’ve spoken to a number of boutique fashion labels and food producers who say that getting transparency from upstream suppliers is still difficult, but pressure is mounting. So I think we’ll see better practises trickle through supply chains gradually, but steadily.

We might be giving people false expectations by pretending to have found a solution.

I’d like to take this opportunity to cut such promises out of the equation. There are no solutions here, only experiments and possibilities (: But do check out the P2P Foundation report, there’s a lot of really brilliant insights in there as to the material constraints of our time / planet.

The other reasons I can see to be excited about Holochain in the context of climate change could be, but are probably not limited to-

• Targeting low-power, low-cost hardware to run nodes on; when contrasted with the current energy requirements of blockchain which I suspect many here see as a major failure of that space to think about the energy impacts of computing on the environment.
  • Deploying a localised “internet at the edges” on low-powered devices which makes the internet more efficient and resilient by not forcing all our packets to go back and forth to datacentres in the US just to talk to somebody next door.
  • The possibility for community sovereignty over the means and method of undertaking environmentally regenerative practises, rather than “one size fits all” global-scale metrics and practises that are becoming the norm in Blockchain. Might leave this can of worms there (relates to the Sacred Capital story and deck linked above) but we can open it if you like!
5 Likes

HoloFuel and Currency Applicability

@resilience-me these are good insights. I want to clarify a couple of things that might help lend some clarity:

$HOT is the Ethereum token that Holochain used to crowdfund itself, which is distinct from HoloFuel (the Holochain-native mutual credit currency app built by HOLO). This is sort of where the “business as usual” current-day investor community meets the weird-and-edgy communitarian / mutual credit space. You will be able to burn $HOT to get $HF, so there is some linkage there, but the two are distinct. I do think what you’re saying is still true though, but the outcomes will depend on social dynamics. You can make the claim of neutrality since $HF is an application (not part of Holochain), and any other currencies (such as the Llavors Mutetes app) can also be implemented as applications. But that claim carries less weight when you look at the dynamics of “what’s available now becomes what’s mainstream later”.

I do think that $HF is unlikely to be used as a P2P currency in most applications, due to its weirdness as an asset-backed currency that is really designed specifically to cost hosting. This essentially means you have to “invest” the currency in an app, and have that app actually perform some useful service, in order to be able to pull your earnings back out again. Whilst in that state, your money is locked. Not really desirable for something like a LETS system.

Where it might be used more frequently is as a KYC provider. Since AML laws require $HOT traders to identify themselves, and $HOT is the only way (as yet) to obtain $HF, then many apps may use the $HOT registration process to guard against sybil attacks and conflate $HOT registration with “this agent is a real person”.

I don’t think anybody claims $HF to be the one currency to rule them all… most of the rhetoric I have heard about it is quite deliberately separating it to its domain of specific use and saying that it is not appropriate for use as a general-purpose mutual credit currency.

5 Likes

I’m not making any claims of neutrality. In my own work I’d never claim I was neutral myself, since I can’t be. Humans cannot be neutral. My 2-3 protocols I’ve worked on can, though.

doing my best to remove blockers yup :sweat_smile:

amazing how ‘small’ things in the HDK can cause friction downstream

2 Likes

Just skimmed the document and I love this idea. I think it’s very well fleshed out and the philosophical principles are sound. I’m wondering what technical blocks you’re experiencing?

1 Like