Holochain Forum

Modularity Hackalong: Streamlining the Marketplaces conversation 🙂 💲 ❤

Hello all

This week we’ll streamline all the conversations we’ve had about Marketplaces, and articulate basic principles for building a ‘Bazaar’. Why is it important to build membranes? Why is bridging important? How do we co-ordinate cross-membrane transactions to avoid problems of double-spending and liquidity?

If time permits, we also talk a bit about the ‘Neighbourhoods’ pattern that’s been discussed over the last few weeks - and our plans for showcasing apps being built with this philosophy.

When : Thursday, Sep 10, 9am SGT/11am AEST/1am UTC/6pm PST (US: Sep 9)
Where : Zoom Room ; Calendar Invite
Who is this relevant for: anyone looking to leverage these themes. You could be a dev building in a modular fashion. Or a ‘power user’ with limited dev skills who is stitching together a community or app with basic technical tools.

Thanks, Sid.

PS: If you’d like to receive the calendar invite leave a comment below or DM me and I’ll add you to the recurring event.
PPS: More about Modularity here
PPPS: If you’re curious/interested in the ‘Neighbourhoods’ pattern and want to shape the format of our dialogues, leave a comment in the thread below

@kamal @oro13 @pospi @lynnfoster @bhaugen @Architecture-Course

3 Likes

Yes definitely want to come to this to catch up on all your discussions and get involved… thanks :slightly_smiling_face::heart::pray::blue_heart:

@sidsthalekar - thanks for sending. Won’t be able to make it tonight, I’ve got a few commitments on Weds for the next few weeks. I was curious, is there a specific link or forum conversation on the “Neighborhoods” pattern? Looking forward to learning more about the concept.

Thank you!
Kamal

Really looking forward to viewing the recording as that time is hard for me :slight_smile:

When just looking at the figure, super interesting to see the nested DNAs pattern. So those would be the kind of white-list/membrane structures to even allow people to become peers in the inner transactions/bids/others DNAs? Fascinating! And then people could be active in multiple “reputational-fabric” (neighborhoods?) membranes that may be on different scales? Like Home village - Neighboring village - Bioregion - Planetary?

Totally cool stuff. Cant help to see people as mycelial strands connecting our contexts. Like these cicles are cut cross-sections of those hypha! (:mushroom::eyeglasses::mushroom:)

2 Likes

And here’s the recording. Pospi was unwell, so couldn’t make it unfortunately :frowning:
We had a good conversation about the importance of embedding Marketplaces/Bazaars within membranes, and co-ordination across neighbourhoods in order to prevent double spending. A few follow up items:

• Sid/Lynn/Pospi to chat about how the Bazaars structure in the image above maps on to H-REA/VF
  • Sid to share a document that outlines how bridging can solve for the double-spending problem. (Lynn brought up interesting questions on this topic - double spending needs to be looked at differently for community owned resources that are being exchanged, as opposed to goods or service being offered by an individual).

@Kamal, not yet - we are planning on posting it on the Forum soon. Will share some docs with you until then.

@ViktorZaunders - Yes, that’s the dream. For people to engage in commercial activity across multiple communities they are part of. For eg: if I have limes growing in my backyard, I may want to simultaneously offer them to one community as a gift, another at a steep discount, and all others at market prices. Similar patterns for a service I might like to offer.
Basically any community should be able to spin up the ‘Bazaars/Marketplaces’ tools - so it would be embedded within the membrane.

1 Like