I'm spinning up some docs for holonix, feedback welcome :)

what kind of machine are you using?

Because it requires VirtualBox which requires 64 bit virtualization to be supported by the hardware.

It’s an Aspire 5734Z-4836. Old laptop I’m borrowing at the moment.

wow, amazing you got it working on that :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok, i rewrote the “portability” section to frame WSL1 as an option (with the additional configuration) and made virtualisation/WSL/dual-boot options clearer @pythagorean

thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

as the docs are taking way more effort than i expected to write up (like everything :sweat_smile:) i’m doing a bit of a triage for this initial PR merge

at the moment that looks like:

do these:

• productive (done)
  • portable (done)
  • predictable (done)
  • install (done)
  • configure (30%)
  • binaries (0%)
  • bash scripts (0%)
  • release management (0%)

defer these:

• the nix shell
  • nixos cheatsheet
  • rust
  • node
  • zome development
  • UI development
  • docs kit
  • CI
  • IDE support
  • Makefiles
  • Support & debug
  • Contribute

this is entirely non-scientific purely based on where i’m personally getting asked the most questions and seeing confusion/frustration

it would be awesome if others could help carry the “defer” section after the initial PR is merged

i’m also expecting to flesh things out ad-hoc based on forum discussions, but i’m wanting to focus efforts on Reproduceable network/core testing for concurrent/looping stuff ASAP

BTW everything in this forum topic is in the first PR so thanks all :+1:

Just a general idea, maybe we could have a link in the docs that bounces people to this forum if they have questions about a particular section

2 Likes

A kind of two-way binding would be interesting if the docs listed “Relevant forum topics” within the docs pages, but that’s asking for a lot I think

1 Like

yeah, @ChrisGagne and @jmday facilitated a bit of discussion around docs this morning

@marcus there are sections right at the bottom of the structure that i deferred for “support and debug” and “contribute” which seem like the perfect place to put forum links if we have them

Could the link in the docs auto-tag the user’s forum question? @dhtnetwork

i don’t know what that means >.< @marcus

what’s an auto-tag?

i’m looking for an “embed” option or similar and not seeing anything…

I mean more like could we add parameters to the Discourse forum URL so that their question is automatically categorised?

:woman_shrugging: dunno, let’s see what @dhtnetwork says :slight_smile:

@thedavidmeister: Is this info in the readme or docs dir? I failed to find it with a quick scan of both, but then located it here after some searching.

Yes, auto tags would be helpful. I am not sure if auto tag has been implemented in the feature roadmap. I’ll look into it.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/a-roadmap-for-tags/85459 @marcus

@jmday well it’s in a WIP branch… there will be instructions by the time i finish the branch :slight_smile:

ok, please review/feedback on first pass of the holonix docs

especially if there is critical information missing, so i can update it

@jmday @zippy @dhtnetwork @marcus @pythagorean @pospi @pjkundert @philipbeadle @freesig

ignore the theme, @dhtnetwork is sorting me out with something on brand

I would recommend merging the three-p’s into a single “approach”, “theory”, or “assumptions” section. They all seem like logically part of the same thing which is explaining the why and how of Holonix. Having them take up the top three items of menu real-estate seems like a bit too much.

4 Likes

@zippy aight, i got some other feedback coming in through other channels, i’ll give it a few days to aggregate then i’ll do another sweep

makes sense i’ll combine those three into a single page