`hc package` cargo error

Hi, I just followed basic steps to create an hApp, no code written, but I’m getting errors during hc package. My environment is Ubuntu@WSL.

[nix-shell:~/holochain]$ hc init my_first_app
Created new Holochain project at: "my_first_app"

[nix-shell:~/holochain]$ cd my_first_app/

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ hc generate zomes/hello rust-proc
downloading and extracting tarball from: https://github.com/holochain/rust-proc-zome-template/archive/master.tar.gz
> zomes/hello/
> zomes/hello/
> zomes/hello/code
> zomes/hello/code/.hcbuild
> zomes/hello/code/Cargo.toml
> zomes/hello/code/src
> zomes/hello/code/src/lib.rs
> zomes/hello/zome.json

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ hc package
/nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: 1: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
> CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR "
/home/feamcor/target
> CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR"
bash: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Error: Couldn't traverse DNA in directory "/home/feamcor/holochain/my_first_app": command CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR was not successful

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ env | grep CARGO
CARGO_TARGET_DIR=/home/feamcor/target
CARGO_INCREMENTAL=1
export CARGO_HOME="$NIX_ENV_PREFIX/.cargo"
export CARGO_INSTALL_ROOT="$NIX_ENV_PREFIX/.cargo"
export CARGO_TARGET_DIR="$HC_TARGET_PREFIX/target"
export CARGO_CACHE_RUSTC_INFO=1
export PATH="$CARGO_INSTALL_ROOT/bin:$PATH"
CARGO_HOME=/home/feamcor/.cargo
CARGO_CACHE_RUSTC_INFO=1
CARGO_INSTALL_ROOT=/home/feamcor/.cargo

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ ll $CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"/home/feamcor/target": No such file or directory (os error 2)

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ ll /tmp/my_first_app/target
"/tmp/my_first_app/target": No such file or directory (os error 2)

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ mkdir $CARGO_TARGET_DIR

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ ll $CARGO_TARGET_DIR

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$ hc package
/nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: 1: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-
15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
> CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR "
/home/feamcor/target
> CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR"
bash: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Error: Couldn't traverse DNA in directory "/home/feamcor/holochain/my_first_app": command CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --r
elease --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR was not successful

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app]$
1 Like

It seems that all started with this syntax error, which I cannot find where hc package is taking from. On the quote below, I removed cargo full path in order to help visibility.

1 Like

Also, I don’t understand the rationale for setting a general path for targets within the home directory, instead of within the hApp project folder. Is this correct?

Hey @feamcor! Awesome you’re digging into happ-create! We’re looking into your experience. We’ve done some internal tests of happ-create and with some folks in the community and hadn’t found any major issues. And, this is still a prototype so thanks for helping us test. Someone will get back to you soon.
Be well.
Jarod

Hi @feamcor, thanks for your post! We found a few issues over the weekend. We’re working on resolving an update to use the latest anchors dependency. And the other was related to the instructions.

1. We wrote npm when it should have been yarn.

2. Instead of this:

git clone https://github.com/holochain/holonix.git && cd holonix && git checkout develop && nix-shell

use this:

nix-shell https://github.com/holochain/holonix/archive/develop.tar.gz

Check back in 24 hours and you should be good to go! :slight_smile:

Thanks again, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or issues!

Kind regards,
Rob Lyon

1 Like

Hi @RobLyon. I’m still having the same problem as @feamcor. I get an error every time cargo is called by the compiler.

I’m trying out the new prototype scaffolding tool from Try out the first prototype of our new scaffolding tool!

I’m also developing using WSL. I have tried it out on Ubuntu on a virtual machine and didn’t get this error.

Here is the error message I get:

$ cd dna_src && hc package
/nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: 1: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: Syntax error: “)” unexpected
CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/notes/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/notes/target} && echo $CARGO_TARGET_DIR "
/mnt/c/Users/nico/holochain/testapp3/target
CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/notes/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR
“CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/notes/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR”
Error: Couldn’t traverse DNA in directory “/mnt/c/Users/nico/holochain/testapp3/my-notes-app/dna_src”: command CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/notes/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR was not successful
error Command failed with exit code 1.

I wonder if the issue here is that Nix on WSL2 is still a work-in-progress. It’s significant to me that you’re both using Ubuntu on WSL2… what’s happening here is less about issues in the scaffolding tool and more about Cargo not running. @feamcor @mechanicko what sort of computer do you have? A Surface with an ARM CPU, or a standard Core CPU?

Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 Win10 Pro 64-bit 32GB WSL Ubuntu 18.04

hm, that’s just a plain ol’ Core processor, so there shouldn’t be any architecture mismatch between packages and processor. I don’t have Windows on my ThinkPad, so I can’t test this issue myself… I’ll ask some of the devs who use Windows. We initially put a lot of effort into trying to make this work on Windows without a VM, but hit some roadblocks in the maturity of WSL and Nix and haven’t looked at it since. I don’t know how thoroughly we explored Nix-on-Ubuntu-on-WSL though.

@thedavidmeister can you add any history/details/updates? Do you think the above could be in any way related to the WSL/systemd compatibility troubles that also plague NixOS?

I would like to know what is the instruction that hc is giving to cargo, to figure out the syntax error (cargo is complaining of an unexpected close parenthesis). From the output I cannot see. Is it defined somewhere, on some file within the project tree? Is there any environment variable to let hc flush debug/verbose log?

BTW I just tried with the latest Holonix update and error persists.

@feamcor hc package just takes in a .hcbuild file (found in each zome’s code/ folder), which is just a series of commands in JSON form. You can inspect that file to see exactly what hc package is passing to cargo. It also echoes the command (twice in fact, one with colouring and one without) before actually executing it. I don’t know what env var will make cargo more verbose, and the unfortunate fact is that the way that hc package spawns cargo it doesn’t pass on env vars anyway (I believe).

If you copy the echoed commands and run them in your zome’s code/ folder, you may be able to get more verbose output that way.

Re: setting a cargo target dir explicitly, I forget the exact reason, but I believe it had something to do with not clobbering build artifacts if you already had a Rust installation outside your Nix environment. But don’t quote me on that :wink:

Ok, I went to the zomes/hello/code directory and from there I executed one-by-one of the commands listed in .hcbuild.

cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-d
ir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR

Output …

Compiling unicode-xid v0.2.0
Compiling syn v1.0.17
Compiling syn v0.15.31
Compiling ryu v1.0.3
error[E0463]: can't find crate for `core`
|
= note: the `wasm32-unknown-unknown` target may not be installed

error: aborting due to previous error

For more information about this error, try `rustc --explain E0463`.
error: could not compile `cfg-if`.
warning: build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...
error: build failed

First issue found is that the target wasm32-unknown-unknown was not installed for the nightly release set by Holonix. I installed the target.

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ rustup show
Default host: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
rustup home:  /home/feamcor/.rustup

installed toolchains
--------------------

stable-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
nightly-2019-11-16-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

active toolchain
----------------

nightly-2019-11-16-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (environment override by RUSTUP_TOOLCHAIN)
rustc 1.41.0-nightly (1bd30ce2a 2019-11-15)

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ rustup target add wasm32-unknown-unknown
info: downloading component 'rust-std' for 'wasm32-unknown-unknown'
 11.0 MiB /  11.0 MiB (100 %)   1.5 MiB/s in  2s ETA:  0s
info: installing component 'rust-std' for 'wasm32-unknown-unknown'

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-d
ir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR
   Compiling cfg-if v0.1.10
   Compiling semver-parser v0.7.0
   Compiling lazy_static v1.4.0
   Compiling typenum v1.11.2
   Compiling holochain_wasm_utils v0.0.46-alpha1
   Compiling hdk v0.0.46-alpha1
   Compiling hello v0.1.0 (/home/feamcor/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code)
    Finished release [optimized] target(s) in 1m 19s

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ wasm-gc $CARGO_TARGET_DIR/wasm32-unknown-unknown/release/hello.w
asm

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ wasm-opt -Oz --vacuum $CARGO_TARGET_DIR/wasm32-unknown-unknown/r
elease/hello.wasm
(no output file specified, not emitting output)

[nix-shell:~/holochain/my_first_app/zomes/hello/code]$ wasm2wat $CARGO_TARGET_DIR/wasm32-unknown-unknown/release/hello.
wasm -o $CARGO_TARGET_DIR/wasm32-unknown-unknown/release/hello.wat

As it can be seen above, manually, from the zome´s code folder, build can be done properly.

So, I deleted the project folder, delete the (annoying) target folder located under the home directory, started again and … same problem!

[nix-shell:~]$ hc init my_first_app
Created new Holochain project at: "my_first_app"

[nix-shell:~]$ cd my_first_app/

[nix-shell:~/my_first_app]$ hc generate zomes/hello
downloading and extracting tarball from: https://github.com/holochain/rust-zome-template/archive/master.tar.gz
> zomes/hello/
> zomes/hello/
> zomes/hello/code
> zomes/hello/code/.hcbuild
> zomes/hello/code/Cargo.toml
> zomes/hello/code/src
> zomes/hello/code/src/lib.rs
> zomes/hello/zome.json

[nix-shell:~/my_first_app]$ hc package
/nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: 1: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd
885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
/home/feamcor/target
> CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unkno
wn --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR
"CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/tmp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknow
n --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR"
bash: /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo: cannot execute bi
nary file: Exec format error
Error: Couldn't traverse DNA in directory "/home/feamcor/my_first_app": command CARGO_TARGET_DIR=${CARGO_TARGET_DIR:-/t
mp/my_first_app/target} && cargo build --release --target=wasm32-unknown-unknown --target-dir=$CARGO_TARGET_DIR was not
 successful

:confused:

I deleted Rust and Nix and installed all again. It seems that cargo binary from Nix store is not being generated correctly during Holonix installation. See below…

feamcor@MOTOKO:~$ which -a cargo
/home/feamcor/.cargo/bin/cargo
feamcor@MOTOKO:~$ /home/feamcor/.cargo/bin/cargo --version
cargo 1.42.0 (86334295e 2020-01-31)
feamcor@MOTOKO:~$ holonix

[nix-shell:~]$ which -a cargo
/nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo

[nix-shell:~]$ /home/feamcor/.cargo/bin/cargo --version
cargo 1.40.0-nightly (5da4b4d47 2019-10-28)

[nix-shell:~]$ /nix/store/2h5dvmcmd885m1h06cxvm2cz3fvzrxzy-rust-1.41.0-nightly-2019-11-15-1bd30ce2a/bin/cargo --version

Actually all Rust binaries from the Nix store are presenting “Exec format error”. The only messages that called my attention during Holonix first run was something about .interp and it was related to Rust. Will try to get these messages again.

I ran nix-store --gc to delete downloaded Holonix packages.

This is part of the Holonix log and where it seems to be the source of the problems with Rust executables.

See the occurrences of “cannot find section .interp” and “ELF”.

Similar behavior is seen on other Rust-related parts of the log.

install: installing component 'cargo'
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/etc/bash_completion.d/cargo
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-clean.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-check.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-fix.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-search.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-pkgid.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-publish.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-new.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-run.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-locate-project.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-install.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-metadata.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-help.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-yank.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-rustc.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-doc.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-login.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-test.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-verify-project.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-init.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-package.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-vendor.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-build.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-bench.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-uninstall.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-rustdoc.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-owner.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-version.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-fetch.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-generate-lockfile.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/man1/cargo-update.1
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/doc/cargo/LICENSE-THIRD-PARTY
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/doc/cargo/LICENSE-APACHE
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/doc/cargo/LICENSE-MIT
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/doc/cargo/README.md
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/zsh/site-functions/_cargo
install: copying file /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo
install: installing component 'rls-preview'
install: installing component 'clippy-preview'
install: installing component 'rustfmt-preview'
install: installing component 'rust-analysis-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
install: installing component 'rust-std-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
install: installing component 'rust-docs'
install: copying directory /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/doc/rust/html

Rust is ready to roll.

Patching interpreter of ELF executables and libraries in /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo-clippy
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo-fmt
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/clippy-driver
warning: working around a Linux kernel bug by creating a hole of 1130496 bytes in ‘/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/clippy-driver’
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rls
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustc
warning: working around a Linux kernel bug by creating a hole of 1888256 bytes in ‘/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustc’
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustdoc
warning: working around a Linux kernel bug by creating a hole of 1273856 bytes in ‘/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustdoc’
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustfmt
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libLLVM-9-rust-1.41.0-nightly.so
cannot find section .interp
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/librustc_driver-682b082830c1c29f.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/librustc_macros-902e39cc31df3733.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libstd-353bd06d9817dba2.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libtest-1abe8a7844ac38e9.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/rust-lld
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/codegen-backends/librustc_codegen_llvm-llvm.
so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libLLVM-9-rust-1.41.0-nightly.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libstd-353bd06d9817dba2.so
setting interpreter of /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libtest-1abe8a7844ac38e9.so
post-installation fixup
shrinking RPATHs of ELF executables and libraries in /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo-clippy
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/cargo-fmt
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/clippy-driver
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rls
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustc
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustdoc
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rustfmt
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libLLVM-9-rust-1.41.0-nightly.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/librustc_driver-682b082830c1c29f.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/librustc_macros-902e39cc31df3733.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libstd-353bd06d9817dba2.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/libtest-1abe8a7844ac38e9.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/rust-lld
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/codegen-backends/librustc_codegen_llvm-llvm.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libLLVM-9-rust-1.41.0-nightly.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libstd-353bd06d9817dba2.so
shrinking /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/lib/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libtest-1abe8a7844ac38e9.so
gzipping man pages under /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/share/man/
patching script interpreter paths in /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust
/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rust-gdb: interpreter directive changed from "/bin/sh" to "/nix/store/506nnycf7nk22x7n07mjjjl2g8nifp
da-bash-4.4-p23/bin/sh"
/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rust-gdbgui: interpreter directive changed from "/bin/sh" to "/nix/store/506nnycf7nk22x7n07mjjjl2g8n
ifpda-bash-4.4-p23/bin/sh"
/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust/bin/rust-lldb: interpreter directive changed from "/bin/sh" to "/nix/store/506nnycf7nk22x7n07mjjjl2g8nif
pda-bash-4.4-p23/bin/sh"
checking for references to /tmp/nix-build-rust.drv-0/ in /nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust...
/nix/store/dn5ssvfrrm1262mzdfa3dx6zncwjssdw-rust /tmp/nix-build-rust.drv-0/rust-nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
/tmp/nix-build-rust.drv-0/rust-nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
building '/nix/store/24lbfxi4hsyi2z4ybz0wql210r7n2wbs-rustc-dev-nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.xz.drv'...

Just to confirm, are you still using the develop branch? We’ve got this in holochain.love now. If you’re still getting these errors there please let me know.

@RobLyon, everything that I reported above is under the blessed Holonix (nix-shell https://holochain.love), not related to the thread of the new scaffolding tool. Initially on 0.0.45 and now on 0.0.46.

i personally find it difficult to track technical issues in forum threads like this, it very often seems to go the way that some bug is reported (e.g. the syntax error in the OP) and then a thread of troubleshooting happens that walks through 2 or 3 other bugs, and i get a @ notification in my email maybe from @pauldaoust or similar, but the conversation moves on and it’s hard for me to track what needs fixing/changing upstream, if anything…

i think that’s pretty natural for the forum format and good for troubleshooting but it’s not so good for organising code work

if there’s a bug in holonix can we track a ticket against the github repo ideally with steps to reproduce? Issues · holochain/holonix · GitHub

it seems like what we want here is a way to test WSL2 on windows on circle CI (i have no idea if that’s available), otherwise, even if we fix this bug there could just be a new one next week :frowning:

1 Like

i stubbed something out here: https://github.com/holochain/holonix/issues/148